How many baby Western mastiff bats are in a litter?
A Western mastiff bat (Eumops perotis) usually gives birth to around 1 babies.With 1 litters per year, that sums up to a yearly offspring of 1 babies.
Upon birth, they weight 7 grams (0.02 lbs) and measure 5.3 cm (0′ 3″). They are a member of the Molossidae family (genus: Eumops). An adult Western mastiff bat grows up to a size of 13.92 meter (45′ 9″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
“Greater mastiff bat” redirects here. See Mops (bat) for the genus also known as “greater mastiff bats”.The western mastiff bat (Eumops perotis), also known as the western bonneted bat, the greater mastiff bat, or the greater bonneted bat, is a member of the free-tailed bat family, Molossidae. It is found in the Western United States, Mexico and South America, and is the largest bat native to North America. The subspecies Eumops perotis californicus is a species of concern as identified by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. The range of this subspecies is principally southwest desert regions of the United States, along the border with Mexico; however, the range extends as far north on the Pacific coast to Alameda County, California.
Other animals of the family Molossidae
Western mastiff bat is a member of the Molossidae, as are these animals:
- Lappet-eared free-tailed bat with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Peters’s wrinkle-lipped bat weighting only 11 grams
- Peters’s flat-headed bat with 1 babies per pregnancy
- White-bellied free-tailed bat with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Egyptian free-tailed bat with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Wagner’s bonneted bat with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Roberts’s flat-headed bat weighting only 14 grams
- White-striped free-tailed bat with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Bonda mastiff bat weighting only 17 grams
- Large-eared free-tailed bat weighting only 34 grams
Animals that share a litter size with Western mastiff bat
Those animals also give birth to 1 babies at once:
- Pygmy scaly-tailed flying squirrel
- Philippine tube-nosed fruit bat
- New Britain naked-backed fruit bat
- Cape elephant shrew
- Southern African vlei rat
- Sowerby’s beaked whale
- Red acouchi
- Coppery ringtail possum
- Pygmy treeshrew
- White-footed sportive lemur
Animals with the same weight as a Western mastiff bat
What other animals weight around 50 grams (0.11 lbs)?
- Pel’s pouched bat weighting 53 grams
- Antillean fruit-eating bat weighting 45 grams
- Dark bolo mouse weighting 40 grams
- Chisel-toothed kangaroo rat weighting 56 grams
- Melanomys zunigae weighting 53 grams
- Mittendorf’s striped grass mouse weighting 41 grams
- Brucepattersonius iheringi weighting 43 grams
- Moss-forest rat weighting 45 grams
- Yellow-spotted brush-furred rat weighting 57 grams
- Hylaeamys megacephalus weighting 57 grams