How many baby Lappet-eared free-tailed bats are in a litter?
A Lappet-eared free-tailed bat (Chaerephon major) usually gives birth to around 1 babies.
Upon birth, they weight 10.3 kg (22.71 lbs) and measure 57 cm (1′ 11″). They are a member of the Molossidae family (genus: Chaerephon). An adult Lappet-eared free-tailed bat grows up to a size of 2.04 meter (6′ 9″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
The lappet-eared free-tailed bat (Chaerephon major) is a species of bat in the family Molossidae. It is found in Benin, Burkina Faso, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Ivory Coast, Ghana, Guinea, Kenya, Liberia, Mali, Niger, Nigeria, Sudan, Tanzania, Togo, and Uganda. Its natural habitats are dry savanna and moist savanna. It is threatened by habitat loss.
Other animals of the family Molossidae
Lappet-eared free-tailed bat is a member of the Molossidae, as are these animals:
- Spotted free-tailed bat weighting only 15 grams
- Sinaloan mastiff bat with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Wrinkle-lipped free-tailed bat weighting only 21 grams
- Big bonneted bat weighting only 83 grams
- Little free-tailed bat with 1 babies per pregnancy
- White-striped free-tailed bat with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Underwood’s bonneted bat with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Russet free-tailed bat weighting only 16 grams
- Egyptian free-tailed bat with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Greenhall’s dog-faced bat weighting only 15 grams
Animals that share a litter size with Lappet-eared free-tailed bat
Those animals also give birth to 1 babies at once:
- Common pipistrelle
- Black-tailed hutia
- Snow sheep
- Southeast Asian long-fingered bat
- Chacma baboon
- Greater mouse-eared bat
- Sloggett’s vlei rat
- Grant’s golden mole
- Insular flying fox
- Wroughton’s free-tailed bat
Animals with the same weight as a Lappet-eared free-tailed bat
What other animals weight around 15 grams (0.03 lbs)?
- Orange nectar bat weighting 13 grams
- Abrothrix andinus weighting 18 grams
- Buffy flower bat weighting 16 grams
- Little big-eyed bat weighting 13 grams
- Delicate slender opossum weighting 15 grams
- Chestnut dunnart weighting 16 grams
- Short-headed broad-nosed bat weighting 14 grams
- Tent-making bat weighting 16 grams
- Western red-backed vole weighting 18 grams
- Visored bat weighting 16 grams