How many baby Underwood’s bonneted bats are in a litter?
A Underwood’s bonneted bat (Eumops underwoodi) usually gives birth to around 1 babies.With 1 litters per year, that sums up to a yearly offspring of 1 babies.
Upon birth, they weight 7 grams (0.02 lbs) and measure 5.3 cm (0′ 3″). They are a member of the Molossidae family (genus: Eumops). An adult Underwood’s bonneted bat grows up to a size of 13.92 meter (45′ 9″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
Underwood’s bonneted bat (Eumops underwoodi) is a species of bat in the family Molossidae found in Belize, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Mexico, Nicaragua and the southwestern United States.
Other animals of the family Molossidae
Underwood’s bonneted bat is a member of the Molossidae, as are these animals:
- Broad-eared bat weighting only 13 grams
- Sierra Leone free-tailed bat weighting only 16 grams
- Para dog-faced bat weighting only 12 grams
- Malagasy white-bellied free-tailed bat weighting only 26 grams
- Molossops abrasus weighting only 35 grams
- Ozimops beccarii weighting only 14 grams
- Wroughton’s free-tailed bat with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Malayan free-tailed bat weighting only 31 grams
- Peters’s wrinkle-lipped bat weighting only 11 grams
- Railer bat with 1 babies per pregnancy
Animals that share a litter size with Underwood’s bonneted bat
Those animals also give birth to 1 babies at once:
- Collared mangabey
- White-nosed saki
- Speke’s pectinator
- Grizzled tree-kangaroo
- Black-footed mongoose
- Schneider’s leaf-nosed bat
- Indian hog deer
- Greater short-nosed fruit bat
- Shrew-faced squirrel
- Broad-striped Malagasy mongoose
Animals with the same weight as a Underwood’s bonneted bat
What other animals weight around 58 grams (0.13 lbs)?
- Chibchan water mouse weighting 50 grams
- Gaumer’s spiny pocket mouse weighting 63 grams
- Natal multimammate mouse weighting 49 grams
- Chisel-toothed kangaroo rat weighting 56 grams
- North American brown lemming weighting 69 grams
- Alexander’s bush squirrel weighting 50 grams
- Mountain mosaic-tailed rat weighting 47 grams
- Crete spiny mouse weighting 62 grams
- Swift fruit bat weighting 66 grams
- Fat-tailed gerbil weighting 47 grams