How many baby Schneider’s leaf-nosed bats are in a litter?
A Schneider’s leaf-nosed bat (Hipposideros speoris) usually gives birth to around 1 babies.With 1 litters per year, that sums up to a yearly offspring of 1 babies.
Each of those little ones spend around 139 days as a fetus before they are released into the wild. Upon birth, they weight 2 grams (0 lbs) and measure 1.5 cm (0′ 1″). They are a member of the Rhinolophidae family (genus: Hipposideros). An adult Schneider’s leaf-nosed bat grows up to a size of 7.5 cm (0′ 3″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
Schneider’s leaf-nosed bat or Schneider’s roundleaf bat (Hipposideros speoris) is a species of bat in the family Hipposideridae. It is endemic to South Asia. Its natural habitats are subtropical or tropical dry forests, caves, and urban areas.
Other animals of the family Rhinolophidae
Schneider’s leaf-nosed bat is a member of the Rhinolophidae, as are these animals:
- Maclaud’s horseshoe bat weighting only 4 grams
- Rhinolophus hilli weighting only 13 grams
- Insular horseshoe bat with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Diadem leaf-nosed bat with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Cyclops roundleaf bat with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Northern leaf-nosed bat weighting only 12 grams
- Philippine pygmy roundleaf bat weighting only 3 grams
- Philippine forest horseshoe bat weighting only 13 grams
- Lesser brown horseshoe bat weighting only 7 grams
- Darling’s horseshoe bat with 1 babies per pregnancy
Animals that share a litter size with Schneider’s leaf-nosed bat
Those animals also give birth to 1 babies at once:
- Bates’s pygmy antelope
- Ursine colobus
- Dassie rat
- Brazilian spiny tree-rat
- Temminck’s flying squirrel
- Dusky pademelon
- Robert’s snow vole
- Black-shanked douc
- Indo-Pacific humpback dolphin
- Drill (animal)
Animals with the same weight as a Schneider’s leaf-nosed bat
What other animals weight around 10 grams (0.02 lbs)?
- Yellow serotine weighting 10 grams
- Pallid large-footed myotis weighting 12 grams
- Evening bat weighting 9 grams
- Variegated butterfly bat weighting 11 grams
- Dwarf little fruit bat weighting 9 grams
- Southeast Asian shrew weighting 12 grams
- Long-fingered bat weighting 8 grams
- Hairy big-eared bat weighting 12 grams
- Peters’s wrinkle-lipped bat weighting 11 grams
- Western pebble-mound mouse weighting 10 grams