How many baby Insular horseshoe bats are in a litter?
A Insular horseshoe bat (Rhinolophus keyensis) usually gives birth to around 1 babies.
Upon birth, they weight 2 grams (0 lbs) and measure 1.09 meter (3′ 7″). They are a member of the Rhinolophidae family (genus: Rhinolophus). An adult Insular horseshoe bat grows up to a size of 3.8 cm (0′ 2″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
The insular horseshoe bat (Rhinolophus keyensis) is a species of bat in the family Rhinolophidae. It is endemic to Indonesia.
Other animals of the family Rhinolophidae
Insular horseshoe bat is a member of the Rhinolophidae, as are these animals:
- Bokhara horseshoe bat weighting only 15 grams
- Northern leaf-nosed bat weighting only 12 grams
- Rhinolophus sedulus weighting only 8 grams
- Large Asian roundleaf bat weighting only 31 grams
- Bushveld horseshoe bat weighting only 8 grams
- Least horseshoe bat with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Temminck’s trident bat weighting only 4 grams
- Maggie Taylor’s roundleaf bat weighting only 16 grams
- Schneider’s leaf-nosed bat with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Swinny’s horseshoe bat weighting only 7 grams
Animals that share a litter size with Insular horseshoe bat
Those animals also give birth to 1 babies at once:
- Whiskered bat
- Thomson’s gazelle
- Van Gelder’s bat
- Spotted-winged fruit bat
- Eastern lesser bamboo lemur
- Paraguaian hairy dwarf porcupine
- Peters’s flat-headed bat
- Greater spot-nosed monkey
- Rafinesque’s big-eared bat
- Mount Cameroon forest shrew
Animals with the same weight as a Insular horseshoe bat
What other animals weight around 4 grams (0.01 lbs)?
- Percival’s trident bat weighting 4 grams
- Thailand roundleaf bat weighting 4 grams
- Flute-nosed bat weighting 4 grams
- Light-winged lesser house bat weighting 4 grams
- Lesser bamboo bat weighting 4 grams
- Little yellow bat weighting 4 grams
- Remy’s pygmy shrew weighting 4 grams
- Borneo roundleaf bat weighting 4 grams
- Peters’s trumpet-eared bat weighting 4 grams
- Doucet’s musk shrew weighting 4 grams