How many baby Dassie rats are in a litter?
A Dassie rat (Petromus typicus) usually gives birth to around 1 babies.With 1 litters per year, that sums up to a yearly offspring of 1 babies.
Upon birth, they weight 30 grams (0.07 lbs) and measure 9.2 cm (0′ 4″). They are a member of the Petromuridae family (genus: Petromus). An adult Dassie rat grows up to a size of 100 cm (3′ 4″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
The dassie rat (Petromus typicus) is an African rodent found among rocky outcroppings. It is the only living member of its genus, Petromus, and family, Petromuridae. The name “dassie” means “hyrax” in Afrikaans, and the two animals are found in similar habitats. Petromus means “rock mouse” and dassie rats are one of many rodents sometimes called rock rats. The family and genus names are sometimes misspelled as Petromyidae and Petromys.
Animals that share a litter size with Dassie rat
Those animals also give birth to 1 babies at once:
- Tana River mangabey
- Peters’s flat-headed bat
- Northern bat
- Wroughton’s free-tailed bat
- Dwarf sperm whale
- Lord Derby’s scaly-tailed squirrel
- Chocolate wattled bat
- Giant golden-crowned flying fox
- Linnaeus’s two-toed sloth
- Darling’s horseshoe bat
Animals with the same weight as a Dassie rat
What other animals weight around 224 grams (0.49 lbs)?
- Calabar angwantibo weighting 258 grams
- Middle East blind mole-rat weighting 180 grams
- Ihering’s Atlantic spiny rat weighting 220 grams
- Asian red-cheeked squirrel weighting 201 grams
- Pseudocheirus schlegeli weighting 256 grams
- Rodrigues flying fox weighting 256 grams
- Chinese zokor weighting 257 grams
- Black-spined Atlantic tree-rat weighting 224 grams
- Thomas’s rope squirrel weighting 224 grams
- Bryant’s woodrat weighting 182 grams