How many baby Railer bats are in a litter?
A Railer bat (Mops thersites) usually gives birth to around 1 babies.With 2 litters per year, that sums up to a yearly offspring of 2 babies.
Upon birth, they weight 9 grams (0.02 lbs) and measure 5.3 cm (0′ 3″). They are a member of the Molossidae family (genus: Mops). An adult Railer bat grows up to a size of 1.45 meter (4′ 10″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
The Railer bat (Mops thersites) is a species of bat in the family Molossidae. It is found in Cameroon, Central African Republic, Republic of the Congo, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Ivory Coast, Equatorial Guinea, Gabon, Ghana, Guinea, Kenya, Liberia, Nigeria, Rwanda, Sierra Leone, and Uganda. Its natural habitats are subtropical or tropical dry forests and subtropical or tropical moist lowland forests. It is threatened by habitat loss.One of the unique features of the Molossolid bats, such as the railer bat is that they have two sets of parotid glands. This is uncommon as most species of bats have two sets of submandibular glands.
Other animals of the family Molossidae
Railer bat is a member of the Molossidae, as are these animals:
- Cinnamon dog-faced bat weighting only 35 grams
- Dwarf dog-faced bat weighting only 5 grams
- Malayan free-tailed bat weighting only 31 grams
- Bonda mastiff bat weighting only 17 grams
- Spotted free-tailed bat weighting only 15 grams
- Black bonneted bat weighting only 28 grams
- Russet free-tailed bat weighting only 16 grams
- Wagner’s bonneted bat with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Brown mastiff bat weighting only 15 grams
- Mato Grosso dog-faced bat weighting only 7 grams
Animals that share a litter size with Railer bat
Those animals also give birth to 1 babies at once:
- Long-legged bat
- Robert’s snow vole
- Ihering’s Atlantic spiny rat
- Preuss’s monkey
- Eastern forest bat
- Silky anteater
- Rüppell’s broad-nosed bat
- Large mosaic-tailed rat
Animals with the same weight as a Railer bat
What other animals weight around 22 grams (0.05 lbs)?
- Neacomys spinosus weighting 19 grams
- Monte gerbil mouse weighting 18 grams
- Naked-nosed shrew tenrec weighting 18 grams
- Brukkaros pygmy rock mouse weighting 20 grams
- Oligoryzomys griseolus weighting 25 grams
- Père David’s vole weighting 19 grams
- Asian particolored bat weighting 24 grams
- Pallid bat weighting 22 grams
- Eva’s desert mouse weighting 21 grams
- Thespian grass mouse weighting 24 grams