How many baby Indris are in a litter?
A Indri (Indri indri) usually gives birth to around 1 babies.
Each of those little ones spend around 136 days as a fetus before they are released into the wild. Upon birth, they weight 13 grams (0.03 lbs) and measure 15.1 cm (0′ 6″). They are a member of the Indridae family (genus: Indri). An adult Indri grows up to a size of 73.4 cm (2′ 5″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
The indri ( (listen); Indri indri), also called the babakoto, is one of the largest living lemurs, with a head-and-body length of about 64–72 cm (25–28 in) and a weight of between 6 to 9.5 kg (13 to 21 lb). It has a black and white coat and maintains an upright posture when climbing or clinging. It is monogamous and lives in small family groups, moving through the canopy, and is purely herbivorous, feeding mainly on leaves but also seeds, fruits, and flowers. The groups are quite vocal, communicating with other groups by singing, roaring and other vocalisations.It is a diurnal tree-dweller related to the sifakas and, like all lemurs, it is native to Madagascar. It is revered by the Malagasy people and plays an important part in their myths and legends with various stories in existence accounting for its origin. The main threats faced by the indri are habitat destruction and fragmentation due to slash and burn agriculture, fuelwood gathering, and logging. It is also hunted despite taboos against this. The International Union for Conservation of Nature has rated its conservation status as “critically endangered”.
Other animals of the family Indridae
Indri is a member of the Indridae, as are these animals:
- Eastern woolly lemur with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Diademed sifaka with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Verreaux’s sifaka with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Golden-crowned sifaka weighting around 3.53 kilograms (7.78 lbs)
Animals that share a litter size with Indri
Those animals also give birth to 1 babies at once:
- Antilopine kangaroo
- Cotton-top tamarin
- Big hairy armadillo
- Golden snub-nosed monkey
- Stein’s cuscus
- Rufous horseshoe bat
- Javan rhinoceros
- Squirrel glider
- Van Gelder’s bat
- Mexican free-tailed bat
Animals with the same weight as a Indri
What other animals weight around 8.61 kg (18.98 lbs)?
- Japanese macaque usually reaching 10.11 kgs (22.29 lbs)
- Lowland paca usually reaching 8.17 kgs (18.01 lbs)
- Pudú usually reaching 9.6 kgs (21.16 lbs)
- Aardwolf usually reaching 8.29 kgs (18.28 lbs)
- Moor macaque usually reaching 7.29 kgs (16.07 lbs)
- Celebes crested macaque usually reaching 7.37 kgs (16.25 lbs)
- Honey badger usually reaching 9 kgs (19.84 lbs)
- Fossa (animal) usually reaching 9.5 kgs (20.94 lbs)
- Western brush wallaby usually reaching 8 kgs (17.64 lbs)
- Andean mountain cat usually reaching 8.13 kgs (17.92 lbs)
Animals with the same size as a Indri
Also reaching around 73.4 cm (2′ 5″) in size do these animals:
- Coyote gets as big as 87.5 cm (2′ 11″)
- Steenbok gets as big as 82.4 cm (2′ 9″)
- King colobus gets as big as 62.7 cm (2′ 1″)
- Andean mountain cat gets as big as 59.9 cm (2′ 0″)
- Margay gets as big as 60 cm (2′ 0″)
- Gee’s golden langur gets as big as 60.5 cm (2′ 0″)
- Silvery gibbon gets as big as 67.6 cm (2′ 3″)
- Bobcat gets as big as 69.1 cm (2′ 4″)
- Malayan civet gets as big as 65.7 cm (2′ 2″)
- Linnaeus’s two-toed sloth gets as big as 69 cm (2′ 4″)