It is hard to guess what a Grey red-backed vole weights. But we have the answer:
An adult Grey red-backed vole (Clethrionomys rufocanus) on average weights 36 grams (0.08 lbs).
The Grey red-backed vole is from the family Muridae (genus: Clethrionomys). It is usually born with about 2 grams (0 lbs). When reaching adult age, they grow up to 10.6 cm (0′ 5″). On average, Grey red-backed voles can have babies 3 times per year with a litter size of 5.
As a reference: An average human weights in at 62 kg (137 lbs) and reaches an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). Humans spend 280 days (40 weeks) in the womb of their mother and reach around 75 years of age.
The grey red-backed vole or the grey-sided vole (Myodes rufocanus) is a species of vole. An adult grey red-backed vole weighs 20-50 grams. This species ranges across northern Eurasia, including northern China, the northern Korean Peninsula, and the islands of Sakhalin and Hokkaidō. It is larger and longer-legged than the northern red-backed vole (Myodes rutilus), which covers a similar range and it is also sympatric with the Norwegian lemming (Lemmus lemmus).
Animals of the same family as a Grey red-backed vole
We found other animals of the Muridae family:
- Shining thicket rat with a weight of 43 grams
- Sumichrast’s vesper rat with a weight of 59 grams
- Yellow-rumped leaf-eared mouse with a weight of 53 grams
- Moss-forest rat with a weight of 46 grams
- Mountain spiny rat with a weight of 159 grams
- Yucatan deer mouse with a weight of 27 grams
- Narrow-nosed harvest mouse with a weight of 20 grams
- Malagasy giant rat bringing 1.18 kilos (2.6 lbs) to the scale
- Steppe mouse with a size of 7.5 cm (0′ 3″)
- Ernst Mayr’s water rat with a weight of 42 grams
Animals with the same weight as a Grey red-backed vole
As a comparison, here are some other animals that weight as much as the Clethrionomys rufocanus:
- Broad-headed spiny rat bringing 30 grams to the scale
- Hooper’s mouse bringing 35 grams to the scale
- Kelaart’s long-clawed shrew bringing 36 grams to the scale
- Phillips’s kangaroo rat bringing 41 grams to the scale
- Alpine chipmunk bringing 36 grams to the scale
- Mexican deer mouse bringing 42 grams to the scale
- African giant shrew bringing 33 grams to the scale
- Black mastiff bat bringing 33 grams to the scale
- White-bellied slender opossum bringing 34 grams to the scale
- Least chipmunk bringing 42 grams to the scale
Animals with the same litter size as a Grey red-backed vole
Here is a list of animals that have the same number of babies per litter (5) as a Grey red-backed vole: