How many baby Mount Pirri isthmus rats are in a litter?
A Mount Pirri isthmus rat (Isthmomys pirrensis) usually gives birth to around 2 babies.
Upon birth, they weight 6.8 kg (14.99 lbs) and measure 1.3 cm (0′ 1″). They are a member of the Muridae family (genus: Isthmomys). An adult Mount Pirri isthmus rat grows up to a size of 35.4 cm (1′ 2″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
The Mount Pirri isthmus rat (Isthmomys pirrensis) is a species of rodent in the family Cricetidae.Its natural habitat is subtropical or tropical moist lowland forests. It is found only in Panama. At the time of its discovery, it was considered as the “most common rat of southeastern Panama”. Found only in the eastern region of Darien, I. pirrensis appears to be a relict species confined to the Panamanian side of the Serrania del Darien. Its occurrence on the Colombian side of the Serrania has been suggested without documentation of specimens.Although neotomine-peromyscine rodents have historically been the subject of systematic research, studies involving Isthmomys have generally excluded I. flavidus due to its rarity in museum collections and the unavailability of tissue samples for molecular analysis. In addition, morphological and physiological studies involving I. flavidus used specimens from the Cerro Hoya locality which was originally proposed as a geographic race of I. pirrensis.
Other animals of the family Muridae
Mount Pirri isthmus rat is a member of the Muridae, as are these animals:
- Euryoryzomys lamia weighting only 60 grams
- Lusitanian pine vole with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Gambian pouched rat with 3 babies per pregnancy
- Lesser tree mouse with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Lesser hamster-rat with 3 babies per pregnancy
- Sooretamys weighting only 144 grams
- Anderson’s gerbil weighting only 31 grams
- Black rat with 5 babies per pregnancy
- Western New Guinea mountain rat raching a size of 13.1 cm (0′ 6″)
- Greater hamster-rat with 4 babies per pregnancy
Animals that share a litter size with Mount Pirri isthmus rat
Those animals also give birth to 2 babies at once:
- Red panda
- Florida mouse
- Long-nosed echymipera
- Myosorex varius
- Highland tuco-tuco
- Crested porcupine
- Kellen’s dormouse
- Black-tailed mosaic-tailed rat
- Gobi jerboa
- Asian particolored bat
Animals with the same weight as a Mount Pirri isthmus rat
What other animals weight around 138 grams (0.3 lbs)?
- Peleng tarsier weighting 165 grams
- Laminate vlei rat weighting 150 grams
- Zanzibar bushbaby weighting 148 grams
- Alpine pika weighting 150 grams
- Egyptian fruit bat weighting 134 grams
- African marsh rat weighting 128 grams
- Indian palm squirrel weighting 136 grams
- Thomas’s giant deer mouse weighting 111 grams
- Dian’s tarsier weighting 111 grams
- Unexpected cotton rat weighting 140 grams