It is hard to guess what a African marsh rat weights. But we have the answer:
An adult African marsh rat (Dasymys incomtus) on average weights 128 grams (0.28 lbs).
The African marsh rat is from the family Muridae (genus: Dasymys). When reaching adult age, they grow up to 17.5 cm (0′ 7″). Usually, African marsh rats have 2 babies per litter.
As a reference: An average human weights in at 62 kg (137 lbs) and reaches an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). Humans spend 280 days (40 weeks) in the womb of their mother and reach around 75 years of age.
The African marsh rat or common dasymys (Dasymys incomtus) is a species of rodent in the family Muridae.It is found in Angola, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Ethiopia, Kenya, Malawi, South Africa, South Sudan, Tanzania, Uganda, Zambia, and Zimbabwe.Its natural habitats are moist savanna, temperate grassland, subtropical or tropical seasonally wet or flooded lowland grassland, and swamps.
Animals of the same family as a African marsh rat
We found other animals of the Muridae family:
- Abrothrix sanborni with a weight of 24 grams
- Subalpine woolly rat bringing 1.99 kilos (4.39 lbs) to the scale
- Bunker’s woodrat with a weight of 375 grams
- Prairie vole with a weight of 42 grams
- Stirton’s deer mouse with a weight of 29 grams
- Sikkim rat with a size of 19 cm (0′ 8″)
- White-footed vole with a weight of 23 grams
- Oreoryzomys with a weight of 60 grams
- Bush vlei rat with a weight of 103 grams
- New Guinean jumping mouse with a weight of 14 grams
Animals with the same weight as a African marsh rat
As a comparison, here are some other animals that weight as much as the Dasymys incomtus:
- Black-tailed tree rat bringing 125 grams to the scale
- Harpy fruit bat bringing 135 grams to the scale
- Sado mole bringing 131 grams to the scale
- Indian palm squirrel bringing 136 grams to the scale
- Texas antelope squirrel bringing 113 grams to the scale
- Lady Burton’s rope squirrel bringing 109 grams to the scale
- Large-scaled mosaic-tailed rat bringing 117 grams to the scale
- Greater tree mouse bringing 105 grams to the scale
- Greater Egyptian jerboa bringing 138 grams to the scale
- Persian jird bringing 108 grams to the scale
Animals with the same litter size as a African marsh rat
Here is a list of animals that have the same number of babies per litter (2) as a African marsh rat: