How many baby Indian palm squirrels are in a litter?
A Indian palm squirrel (Funambulus palmarum) usually gives birth to around 2 babies.
Each of those little ones spend around 34 days as a fetus before they are released into the wild. Upon birth, they weight 70 grams (0.15 lbs) and measure 8.3 cm (0′ 4″). They are a member of the Sciuridae family (genus: Funambulus). An adult Indian palm squirrel grows up to a size of 45.7 cm (1′ 6″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
The Indian palm squirrel or three-striped palm squirrel (Funambulus palmarum) is a species of rodent in the family Sciuridae found naturally in India (south of the Vindhyas) and Sri Lanka. In the late 19th century, the palm squirrel was introduced to Madagascar, Réunion, Mayotte, Comoro Islands, Mauritius, Seychelles and Australia, where it has since become a minor pest. The closely related five-striped palm squirrel, F. pennantii, is found in northern India, and its range partly overlaps with this species.
Other animals of the family Sciuridae
Indian palm squirrel is a member of the Sciuridae, as are these animals:
- Brooke’s squirrel weighting only 114 grams
- Fire-footed rope squirrel with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Complex-toothed flying squirrel with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Cream-coloured giant squirrel weighting around 1.16 kilograms (2.56 lbs)
- Grey-bellied squirrel with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Long-tailed marmot with 3 babies per pregnancy
- Kinabalu squirrel with 3 babies per pregnancy
- San Joaquin antelope squirrel with 8 babies per pregnancy
- Xerus erythropus with 3 babies per pregnancy
- Long-tailed ground squirrel with 7 babies per pregnancy
Animals that share a litter size with Indian palm squirrel
Those animals also give birth to 2 babies at once:
- Northern palm squirrel
- Mexican harvest mouse
- Banded linsang
- Ord’s kangaroo rat
- Fossa (animal)
- Selous’s mongoose
- Greater tree mouse
- San Lorenzo mouse
- Otter civet
- Hoary bat
Animals with the same weight as a Indian palm squirrel
What other animals weight around 136 grams (0.3 lbs)?
- Gorongoza gerbil weighting 119 grams
- Tristram’s jird weighting 112 grams
- Brooke’s squirrel weighting 114 grams
- Damaraland mole-rat weighting 112 grams
- Dwarf flying fox weighting 122 grams
- African groove-toothed rat weighting 111 grams
- Owl’s spiny rat weighting 114 grams
- Lunda rope squirrel weighting 135 grams
- Sado mole weighting 131 grams
- Sooretamys weighting 144 grams