How many baby Northern palm squirrels are in a litter?
A Northern palm squirrel (Funambulus pennantii) usually gives birth to around 2 babies.With 2 litters per year, that sums up to a yearly offspring of 4 babies.
Each of those little ones spend around 41 days as a fetus before they are released into the wild. Upon birth, they weight 6 grams (0.01 lbs) and measure 8.3 cm (0′ 4″). They are a member of the Sciuridae family (genus: Funambulus). An adult Northern palm squirrel grows up to a size of 45.7 cm (1′ 6″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
The northern palm squirrel (Funambulus pennantii) also called the five-striped palm squirrel is a species of rodent in the family Sciuridae. Some authorities recognise two subspecies, F. p. pennantii and F. p. argentescens. It is a semi-arboreal species found in tropical and subtropical dry deciduous forest and many other rural and urban habitats. It is a common species with a wide range and the International Union for Conservation of Nature has rated its conservation status as being of “least concern”.
Other animals of the family Sciuridae
Northern palm squirrel is a member of the Sciuridae, as are these animals:
- Black-eared squirrel raching a size of 9.5 cm (0′ 4″)
- Samar squirrel weighting only 225 grams
- Berdmore’s ground squirrel becoming 4.25 years old
- Richardson’s ground squirrel with 7 babies per pregnancy
- Spotted ground squirrel with 6 babies per pregnancy
- Red and white giant flying squirrel weighting around 1.5 kilograms (3.31 lbs)
- Maritime striped squirrel with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Asia Minor ground squirrel with 5 babies per pregnancy
- Yellow-bellied marmot with 4 babies per pregnancy
- Golden-mantled ground squirrel with 5 babies per pregnancy
Animals that share a litter size with Northern palm squirrel
Those animals also give birth to 2 babies at once:
- Northern pygmy mouse
- Thick-tailed pygmy jerboa
- Least pygmy squirrel
- Talazac’s shrew tenrec
- Lesser bilby
- Mountain treeshrew
- Mountain ground squirrel
- Balkan snow vole
- Cape short-eared gerbil
Animals with the same weight as a Northern palm squirrel
What other animals weight around 102 grams (0.22 lbs)?
- Fat sand rat weighting 102 grams
- Bougainville mosaic-tailed rat weighting 86 grams
- Lady Burton’s rope squirrel weighting 109 grams
- Rough-haired golden mole weighting 112 grams
- Peterson’s chinchilla mouse weighting 83 grams
- Ochre bush squirrel weighting 104 grams
- Allen’s chipmunk weighting 89 grams
- Long-footed water rat weighting 83 grams
- Owl’s spiny rat weighting 114 grams
- Dobson’s epauletted fruit bat weighting 122 grams