What is the maximal age a Berdmore’s ground squirrel reaches?
An adult Berdmore’s ground squirrel (Menetes berdmorei) usually gets as old as 4.25 years.
When born, they weight 210 grams (0.46 lbs) and measure 8.9 cm (0′ 4″). They are a member of the Sciuridae family (genus: Menetes). Fully grown, they reach a bodylength of 1.6 meter (5′ 3″).
As a reference: Usually, humans get as old as 100 years, with the average being around 75 years. After being carried in the belly of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks), they grow to an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″) and weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual.
The Berdmore’s ground squirrel (Menetes berdmorei) is a ground squirrel found in Southeast Asia, from the east of Myanmar to Vietnam. It is however absent on the Malay peninsula, as well as the islands.The squirrel has a grey-brown back and a white belly. Most striking are stripes on the side – on each side one beige and below a black stripe. The head is pointy, so this squirrel resembles a mouse or a treeshrew. Its length is 20 cm (7.9 in), not including the 15 cm (5.9 in) long tail.As a ground squirrel it is rarely found on trees, but spends most of the time in the thick underwoods of the rainforests. However it is also found in fields or villages, especially in rice fields it is sometimes omnipresent. Despite it being quite common only very little is known about the life of this squirrel. Despite its name, it is not a close relative of the ground squirrels of the tribe Marmotini
Animals of the same family as a Berdmore’s ground squirrel
Not really brothers and sisters, but from the same biological family (Sciuridae):
- Hodgson’s giant flying squirrel growing to a mass of 1.48 kgs (3.26 lbs)
- Northern Idaho ground squirrel with 7 babies per pregnancy
- Northern flying squirrel becoming 13 years old
- Jentink’s flying squirrel bringing the scale to 56 grams
- Boehm’s bush squirrel with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Mindanao squirrel getting as big as 21 cm (0′ 9″)
- Red giant flying squirrel becoming 16 years old
- Douglas squirrel with 5 babies per pregnancy
- Himalayan striped squirrel with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Xerus erythropus becoming 6 years old
Animals that reach the same age as Berdmore’s ground squirrel
With an average age of 4.25 years, Berdmore’s ground squirrel are in good companionship of the following animals:
- Woodland jumping mouse usually reaching 4 years
- Smith’s vole usually reaching 3.5 years
- Brown-tailed mongoose usually reaching 4.75 years
- Woolley’s false antechinus usually reaching 4 years
- Common planigale usually reaching 4 years
- Yellow-faced pocket gopher usually reaching 4.67 years
- European water vole usually reaching 5 years
- Little free-tailed bat usually reaching 5 years
- Striped field mouse usually reaching 4 years
- Brown-eared woolly opossum usually reaching 5 years