How many baby Long-tailed marmots are in a litter?
A Long-tailed marmot (Marmota caudata) usually gives birth to around 3 babies.With 1 litters per year, that sums up to a yearly offspring of 3 babies.
Each of those little ones spend around 30 days as a fetus before they are released into the wild. Upon birth, they weight 33 grams (0.07 lbs) and measure 2.6 cm (0′ 2″). They are a member of the Sciuridae family (genus: Marmota). An adult Long-tailed marmot grows up to a size of 40.6 cm (1′ 4″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
The long-tailed marmot (Marmota caudata) or golden marmot is a marmot species in the family Sciuridae.It occurs in mountainous regions in the central parts of Asia where it lives in open or lightly wooded habitats, often among rocks where dwarf junipers grow. It is IUCN Red Listed as Least Concern. As suggested by its name, it is a relatively long-tailed species of marmot.
Other animals of the family Sciuridae
Long-tailed marmot is a member of the Sciuridae, as are these animals:
- Philippine pygmy squirrel with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Borneo black-banded squirrel with 3 babies per pregnancy
- Jungle palm squirrel with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Smoky flying squirrel with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Mountain ground squirrel with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Palmer’s chipmunk with 3 babies per pregnancy
- Round-tailed ground squirrel with 6 babies per pregnancy
- Siberian chipmunk with 5 babies per pregnancy
- Caucasian squirrel with 4 babies per pregnancy
- Boehm’s bush squirrel with 1 babies per pregnancy
Animals that share a litter size with Long-tailed marmot
Those animals also give birth to 3 babies at once:
- Brush rabbit
- Cape golden mole
- Himalayan pika
- Chiriqui brown mouse
- Xerus erythropus
- Anderson’s gerbil
- Temminck’s mouse
- Yucatan deer mouse
- Stella wood mouse
- Wagner’s gerbil
Animals with the same weight as a Long-tailed marmot
What other animals weight around 4.35 kg (9.59 lbs)?
- Blue duiker usually reaching 4.86 kgs (10.71 lbs)
- European wildcat usually reaching 4.53 kgs (9.99 lbs)
- Red fox usually reaching 4.83 kgs (10.65 lbs)
- Plains viscacha usually reaching 4.66 kgs (10.27 lbs)
- Gray fox usually reaching 3.83 kgs (8.44 lbs)
- Common spotted cuscus usually reaching 4.06 kgs (8.95 lbs)
- Crested mona monkey usually reaching 3.58 kgs (7.89 lbs)
- Preuss’s monkey usually reaching 5.14 kgs (11.33 lbs)
- Unadorned rock-wallaby usually reaching 4.56 kgs (10.05 lbs)
- Short-beaked echidna usually reaching 4.5 kgs (9.92 lbs)