How many baby Sumichrast’s harvest mouses are in a litter?
A Sumichrast’s harvest mouse (Reithrodontomys sumichrasti) usually gives birth to around 3 babies.
Upon birth, they weight 1 grams (0 lbs) and measure 4.2 cm (0′ 2″). They are a member of the Muridae family (genus: Reithrodontomys). An adult Sumichrast’s harvest mouse grows up to a size of 7 cm (0′ 3″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
Sumichrast’s harvest mouse (Reithrodontomys sumichrasti) is a species of rodent in the family Cricetidae.It is found in Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Mexico, Nicaragua, and Panama.
Other animals of the family Muridae
Sumichrast’s harvest mouse is a member of the Muridae, as are these animals:
- Gerbil mouse with 4 babies per pregnancy
- Mozambique thicket rat with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Mount Kahuzi climbing mouse with 3 babies per pregnancy
- Blazed Luzon shrew-rat raching a size of 19.5 cm (0′ 8″)
- Amazonian marsh rat with 3 babies per pregnancy
- Spy hocicudo weighting only 81 grams
- Taiga vole with 8 babies per pregnancy
- Akodon albiventer weighting only 26 grams
- Puno grass mouse weighting only 30 grams
- Long-tailed hopping mouse weighting only 100 grams
Animals that share a litter size with Sumichrast’s harvest mouse
Those animals also give birth to 3 babies at once:
- Fat-tailed gerbil
- Black-tailed dasyure
- Short-nosed harvest mouse
- Griselda’s striped grass mouse
- Grizzled giant squirrel
- Southern big-eared mouse
- Lesser red musk shrew
- Gray-footed chipmunk
- Kashmir flying squirrel
- Anderson’s gerbil
Animals with the same weight as a Sumichrast’s harvest mouse
What other animals weight around 19 grams (0.04 lbs)?
- Long-tongued fruit bat weighting 21 grams
- Neacomys spinosus weighting 19 grams
- Northern ghost bat weighting 16 grams
- Tree bat weighting 19 grams
- Blackish white-toothed shrew weighting 20 grams
- Wrinkle-lipped free-tailed bat weighting 21 grams
- Algerian mouse weighting 16 grams
- New Holland mouse weighting 16 grams
- Shrew-toothed shrew tenrec weighting 18 grams
- Altiplano grass mouse weighting 20 grams