How many baby Mount Kahuzi climbing mouses are in a litter?
A Mount Kahuzi climbing mouse (Dendromus kahuziensis) usually gives birth to around 3 babies.
Upon birth, they weight 200 grams (0.44 lbs) and measure 0.4 cm (0′ 1″). They are a member of the Muridae family (genus: Dendromus). An adult Mount Kahuzi climbing mouse grows up to a size of 62.4 cm (2′ 1″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
The Mount Kahuzi climbing mouse (Dendromus kahuziensis) is a rodent found only in the Democratic Republic of the Congo. It is listed as a critically endangered species due to illegal logging; it is also threatened by fire. Only two specimens have ever been found. Both were found within 100m of each other on Mount Kahuzi. Its body length (excluding tail) is 50-100mm and its tail length is 65-132mm. Its habitat is tropical forests, and to navigate these forests it may use its semi-prehensile tail to hold on to tree branches. Its markings are brownish on the top and white to yellow on its underside, with strongly dark rings around its eyes. As with other Dendromus, it has three well defined toes.
Other animals of the family Muridae
Mount Kahuzi climbing mouse is a member of the Muridae, as are these animals:
- Mongolian hamster with 5 babies per pregnancy
- Taiwan vole with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Oecomys cleberi weighting only 73 grams
- Mediterranean pine vole with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Rossel Island melomys raching a size of 13.9 cm (0′ 6″)
- Island mouse weighting only 164 grams
- Blazed Luzon shrew-rat raching a size of 19.5 cm (0′ 8″)
- Ruschi’s rat weighting only 63 grams
- Short-footed Luzon tree rat with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Magdalena rat with 1 babies per pregnancy
Animals that share a litter size with Mount Kahuzi climbing mouse
Those animals also give birth to 3 babies at once: