How many baby Grizzled giant squirrels are in a litter?
A Grizzled giant squirrel (Ratufa macroura) usually gives birth to around 3 babies.With 1 litters per year, that sums up to a yearly offspring of 3 babies.
Each of those little ones spend around 28 days as a fetus before they are released into the wild. Upon birth, they weight 77 grams (0.17 lbs) and measure 4.2 cm (0′ 2″). They are a member of the Sciuridae family (genus: Ratufa). An adult Grizzled giant squirrel grows up to a size of 31.9 cm (1′ 1″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
The grizzled giant squirrel (Ratufa macroura) is a large tree squirrel in the genus Ratufa found in the highlands of the Central and Uva provinces of Sri Lanka, and in patches of riparian forest along the Kaveri River and in the hill forests of Karnataka, Tamil Nadu and Kerala states of southern India. The International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN) lists the species as near threatened due to habitat loss and hunting.
Other animals of the family Sciuridae
Grizzled giant squirrel is a member of the Sciuridae, as are these animals:
- Boehm’s bush squirrel with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Sierra Madre ground squirrel with 4 babies per pregnancy
- Alpine marmot with 4 babies per pregnancy
- Red-cheeked rope squirrel weighting only 250 grams
- Kinabalu squirrel with 3 babies per pregnancy
- Panamint chipmunk with 4 babies per pregnancy
- Northern flying squirrel with 3 babies per pregnancy
- Yellow-pine chipmunk with 5 babies per pregnancy
- Horse-tailed squirrel weighting only 358 grams
- Utah prairie dog with 4 babies per pregnancy
Animals that share a litter size with Grizzled giant squirrel
Those animals also give birth to 3 babies at once:
- Kashmir flying squirrel
- Bicolored shrew
- Crab-eating mongoose
- Major’s pine vole
- Slender squirrel
- Narrow-striped marsupial shrew
- Panamanian spiny pocket mouse
- Fat-tailed gerbil
- Nimba otter shrew
- Pyrenean desman
Animals with the same weight as a Grizzled giant squirrel
What other animals weight around 1.33 kg (2.93 lbs)?
- Hoffmanns’s titi usually reaching 1.07 kgs (2.36 lbs)
- Collared titi usually reaching 1.22 kgs (2.69 lbs)
- Northern olingo usually reaching 1.25 kgs (2.76 lbs)
- Eastern cottontail usually reaching 1.21 kgs (2.67 lbs)
- Northern brushtail possum usually reaching 1.55 kgs (3.42 lbs)
- Hainan hare usually reaching 1.52 kgs (3.35 lbs)
- Lake Mackay hare-wallaby usually reaching 1.5 kgs (3.31 lbs)
- Northern viscacha usually reaching 1.22 kgs (2.69 lbs)
- Common kusimanse usually reaching 1.39 kgs (3.06 lbs)
- Herbert River ringtail possum usually reaching 1.1 kgs (2.43 lbs)