How many baby Northern grass mouses are in a litter?
A Northern grass mouse (Akodon urichi) usually gives birth to around 5 babies.With 3 litters per year, that sums up to a yearly offspring of 15 babies.
Upon birth, they weight 2 grams (0 lbs) and measure 4 cm (0′ 2″). They are a member of the Muridae family (genus: Akodon). An adult Northern grass mouse grows up to a size of 58.3 cm (1′ 11″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
The northern grass mouse, or northern akodont, (Necromys urichi) is a species of rodent in the family Cricetidae. It is found in Brazil, Colombia, Venezuela and Trinidad and Tobago.
Other animals of the family Muridae
Northern grass mouse is a member of the Muridae, as are these animals:
- Mitchell’s hopping mouse with 3 babies per pregnancy
- Dinagat bushy-tailed cloud rat raching a size of 26.5 cm (0′ 11″)
- Moncton’s mosaic-tailed rat with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Fringe-tailed gerbil with 5 babies per pregnancy
- Dollman’s melomys raching a size of 13.1 cm (0′ 6″)
- Sonoran woodrat with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Seram long-tailed mosaic-tailed rat raching a size of 14.7 cm (0′ 6″)
- Oligoryzomys andinus weighting only 25 grams
- Black-eared mouse with 3 babies per pregnancy
- Blazed Luzon shrew-rat raching a size of 19.5 cm (0′ 8″)
Animals that share a litter size with Northern grass mouse
Those animals also give birth to 5 babies at once:
- Uinta ground squirrel
- Striped skunk
- Eastern quoll
- Daurian ground squirrel
- Greater long-nosed armadillo
- Pacific jumping mouse
- Hildegarde’s broad-headed mouse
- Mountain weasel
- Cape mole-rat
- Fringe-tailed gerbil
Animals with the same weight as a Northern grass mouse
What other animals weight around 44 grams (0.1 lbs)?
- Tawny deer mouse weighting 40 grams
- Murree vole weighting 52 grams
- Umboi tube-nosed fruit bat weighting 41 grams
- Cabrera’s vole weighting 52 grams
- Uinta chipmunk weighting 51 grams
- Hylaeamys laticeps weighting 49 grams
- Perote mouse weighting 40 grams
- Fat-tailed false antechinus weighting 36 grams
- Woosnam’s brush-furred rat weighting 42 grams
- Handleyomys chapmani weighting 49 grams