How many baby Zagros Mountains mouse-like hamsters are in a litter?
A Zagros Mountains mouse-like hamster (Calomyscus bailwardi) usually gives birth to around 4 babies.With 1 litters per year, that sums up to a yearly offspring of 4 babies.
Upon birth, they weight 2 grams (0 lbs) and measure 12.5 cm (0′ 5″). They are a member of the Muridae family (genus: Calomyscus). An adult Zagros Mountains mouse-like hamster grows up to a size of 24.7 cm (0′ 10″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
The Zagros Mountains mouse-like hamster (Calomyscus bailwardi) is a relatively little-known rodent which was the first species of mouse-like hamster to be described. The species is distributed throughout much of southern Iran, particularly in the Zagros mountains. It is also known as the Iranian mouse-like hamster, though there are several species of mouse-like hamster found in different parts of Iran.This is the largest species of mouse-like hamster. They are dark grey on top and white underneath. They are found in habitat ranging from barren rocky hillsides to wetter regions. They are known to feed on herbs and grass seed.Graphodatsky et al. (2000) recovered three distinct karyotypes from different regions throughout the range of C. bailwardi (2n=37, FNa=44; 2n=52, FNa=56; 2n=50, FNa=50). This may suggest that further taxonomic revision is required. Vorontsov et al. (1979) emphasized how little is known about the species and that the current definition is based largely on distribution.Many sources still refer to all members of Calomyscus as part of the species Calomyscus bailwardi.
Other animals of the family Muridae
Zagros Mountains mouse-like hamster is a member of the Muridae, as are these animals:
- Long-clawed mole vole with 3 babies per pregnancy
- Bogotá grass mouse weighting only 13 grams
- Malayan mountain spiny rat with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Blanford’s rat with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Rothschild’s woolly rat with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Wagner’s gerbil with 3 babies per pregnancy
- Natal multimammate mouse with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Tawitawi forest rat raching a size of 19 cm (0′ 8″)
- Serra do Mar grass mouse weighting only 28 grams
- Western New Guinea mountain rat raching a size of 13.1 cm (0′ 6″)
Animals that share a litter size with Zagros Mountains mouse-like hamster
Those animals also give birth to 4 babies at once:
- Lodgepole chipmunk
- Lataste’s gerbil
- Sandstone false antechinus
- Steppe lemming
- Woolly dormouse
- Short-tailed bandicoot rat
- Talas tuco-tuco
- Spermophilus relictus
- Red fox
- Smoke-bellied rat
Animals with the same weight as a Zagros Mountains mouse-like hamster
What other animals weight around 21 grams (0.05 lbs)?
- European pine vole weighting 17 grams
- Japanese mountain mole weighting 25 grams
- Van Gelder’s bat weighting 22 grams
- Cerrado mouse weighting 24 grams
- Brazilian big-eyed bat weighting 19 grams
- Eastern false pipistrelle weighting 22 grams
- Allen’s wood mouse weighting 20 grams
- Southern grasshopper mouse weighting 21 grams
- Oligoryzomys destructor weighting 25 grams
- Neacomys tenuipes weighting 19 grams