How many baby Malayan mountain spiny rats are in a litter?
A Malayan mountain spiny rat (Maxomys inas) usually gives birth to around 2 babies.
Upon birth, they weight 1 grams (0 lbs) and measure 1.5 cm (0′ 1″). They are a member of the Muridae family (genus: Maxomys). An adult Malayan mountain spiny rat grows up to a size of 6 cm (0′ 3″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
The Malayan mountain spiny rat (Maxomys inas) is a species of rodent in the family Muridae.It is found only in Malaysia.
Other animals of the family Muridae
Malayan mountain spiny rat is a member of the Muridae, as are these animals:
- Aegialomys galapagoensis becoming 1.67 years old
- Delicate vesper mouse weighting only 13 grams
- Indian gerbil with 4 babies per pregnancy
- Blanford’s rat with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Euryoryzomys russatus weighting only 60 grams
- Oecomys rex weighting only 73 grams
- Ashy-bellied Oldfield mouse weighting only 77 grams
- House mouse with 5 babies per pregnancy
- Junín grass mouse weighting only 39 grams
- Black-tailed gerbil with 4 babies per pregnancy
Animals that share a litter size with Malayan mountain spiny rat
Those animals also give birth to 2 babies at once:
- Big Mexican small-eared shrew
- Van Deusen’s rat
- Plateau mouse
- Eurasian beaver
- Mexican harvest mouse
- Greater tree mouse
- Cape fox
- Collared tuco-tuco
- Mountain mosaic-tailed rat
- Littledale’s whistling rat
Animals with the same weight as a Malayan mountain spiny rat
What other animals weight around 90 grams (0.2 lbs)?
- Hastings River mouse weighting 95 grams
- Spotted ground squirrel weighting 107 grams
- Moncton’s mosaic-tailed rat weighting 80 grams
- Shaw’s jird weighting 90 grams
- Major’s tufted-tailed rat weighting 100 grams
- Web-footed tenrec weighting 77 grams
- Bushveld gerbil weighting 73 grams
- Southern mole vole weighting 80 grams
- Oecomys flavicans weighting 73 grams
- Stolzmann’s crab-eating rat weighting 84 grams