It is hard to guess what a Bushveld gerbil weights. But we have the answer:
An adult Bushveld gerbil (Tatera leucogaster) on average weights 73 grams (0.16 lbs).
The Bushveld gerbil is from the family Muridae (genus: Tatera). It is usually born with about 2 grams (0 lbs). When reaching adult age, they grow up to 11.7 cm (0′ 5″). Usually, Bushveld gerbils have 4 babies per litter.
As a reference: An average human weights in at 62 kg (137 lbs) and reaches an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). Humans spend 280 days (40 weeks) in the womb of their mother and reach around 75 years of age.
The Bushveld gerbil (Gerbilliscus leucogaster) is a species of gerbil found in Angola, Botswana, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Kenya, Malawi, Mozambique, Namibia, South Africa, Eswatini, Tanzania, Uganda, Zambia, and Zimbabwe. Its natural habitats are dry savanna, subtropical or tropical dry shrubland, subtropical or tropical dry lowland grassland, and hot deserts.
Animals of the same family as a Bushveld gerbil
We found other animals of the Muridae family:
- Luzon striped rat with a weight of 152 grams
- Ruwenzori thicket rat with a weight of 41 grams
- Hylaeamys yunganus with a weight of 60 grams
- Kalinowski’s Oldfield mouse with a weight of 77 grams
- Percival’s spiny mouse with a weight of 22 grams
- Mexican harvest mouse with a weight of 15 grams
- African smoky mouse with a weight of 17 grams
- Lesser bamboo rat with a weight of 472 grams
- Tawitawi forest rat with a size of 19 cm (0′ 8″)
- Guinean gerbil with a weight of 102 grams
Animals with the same weight as a Bushveld gerbil
As a comparison, here are some other animals that weight as much as the Tatera leucogaster:
- Sonoma chipmunk bringing 75 grams to the scale
- Short-tailed gymnure bringing 60 grams to the scale
- Stephens’s kangaroo rat bringing 68 grams to the scale
- Southern flying squirrel bringing 72 grams to the scale
- Lesser Egyptian jerboa bringing 59 grams to the scale
- Issel’s groove-toothed swamp rat bringing 60 grams to the scale
- Lesser hamster-rat bringing 75 grams to the scale
- Insular vole bringing 66 grams to the scale
- Cliff chipmunk bringing 63 grams to the scale
- Leschenault’s rousette bringing 84 grams to the scale
Animals with the same litter size as a Bushveld gerbil
Here is a list of animals that have the same number of babies per litter (4) as a Bushveld gerbil: