How many baby Long-clawed mole voles are in a litter?
A Long-clawed mole vole (Prometheomys schaposchnikowi) usually gives birth to around 3 babies.With 2 litters per year, that sums up to a yearly offspring of 6 babies.
Upon birth, they weight 212 grams (0.47 lbs) and measure 19.1 cm (0′ 8″). They are a member of the Muridae family (genus: Prometheomys). An adult Long-clawed mole vole grows up to a size of 79.9 cm (2′ 8″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
The long-clawed mole vole (Prometheomys schaposchnikowi) is a species of rodent in the family Cricetidae. It is the only species in the genus Prometheomys.It is found in Georgia and Turkey.
Other animals of the family Muridae
Long-clawed mole vole is a member of the Muridae, as are these animals:
- Unexpected cotton rat weighting only 140 grams
- Large vlei rat with 3 babies per pregnancy
- Perote mouse weighting only 40 grams
- Dent’s vlei rat with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Oyapock’s fish-eating rat weighting only 47 grams
- Chiriqui harvest mouse with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Deroo’s mouse with 3 babies per pregnancy
- Tumbala climbing rat weighting only 280 grams
- Spotted bolo mouse weighting only 37 grams
- Desert woodrat with 2 babies per pregnancy
Animals that share a litter size with Long-clawed mole vole
Those animals also give birth to 3 babies at once:
- Large mole
- White-ankled mouse
- Deroo’s mouse
- Alpine pika
- Egyptian mongoose
- Abert’s squirrel
- Narrow-striped marsupial shrew
- Pampas fox
- Mountain hare
- Abrothrix longipilis
Animals with the same weight as a Long-clawed mole vole
What other animals weight around 75 grams (0.17 lbs)?
- Thomas’s mosaic-tailed rat weighting 90 grams
- Indian bush rat weighting 60 grams
- Patagonian chinchilla mouse weighting 75 grams
- Splendid climbing mouse weighting 89 grams
- Western chestnut mouse weighting 70 grams
- Robert’s hocicudo weighting 83 grams
- Aegialomys xanthaeolus weighting 79 grams
- Ladew’s Oldfield mouse weighting 77 grams
- Nephelomys auriventer weighting 60 grams
- Oecomys phaeotis weighting 73 grams