How many baby Chilean rock rats are in a litter?
A Chilean rock rat (Aconaemys fuscus) usually gives birth to around 3 babies.
Upon birth, they weight 3 grams (0.01 lbs) and measure 4 cm (0′ 2″). They are a member of the Octodontidae family (genus: Aconaemys). An adult Chilean rock rat grows up to a size of 8 cm (0′ 4″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
The Chilean rock rat (Aconaemys fuscus) is a species of rodent in the family Octodontidae. It is found in the high Andes of Argentina and Chile.
Other animals of the family Octodontidae
Chilean rock rat is a member of the Octodontidae, as are these animals:
- Coruro with 3 babies per pregnancy
- Common degu with 5 babies per pregnancy
- Mountain degu with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Bridges’s degu weighting only 162 grams
- Moon-toothed degu weighting only 200 grams
- Mountain viscacha rat weighting only 124 grams
- Sage’s rock rat weighting only 96 grams
- Plains viscacha rat weighting only 86 grams
Animals that share a litter size with Chilean rock rat
Those animals also give birth to 3 babies at once:
- Kaiser’s rock rat
- Mesquite mouse
- Eastern broad-toothed field mouse
- Hylaeamys megacephalus
- Swamp musk shrew
- Peters’s mouse
- Crab-eating fox
- Transbaikal zokor
- Juniper vole
- Brandt’s hedgehog
Animals with the same weight as a Chilean rock rat
What other animals weight around 130 grams (0.29 lbs)?
- Gorongoza gerbil weighting 118 grams
- Masked white-tailed rat weighting 149 grams
- Leadbeater’s possum weighting 137 grams
- Northern pocket gopher weighting 105 grams
- Philippine tarsier weighting 116 grams
- Pygmy ringtail possum weighting 152 grams
- Luzon striped rat weighting 152 grams
- Mountain degu weighting 154 grams
- Spotted ground squirrel weighting 107 grams
- Alston’s mouse opossum weighting 132 grams