How many baby Royle’s mountain voles are in a litter?
A Royle’s mountain vole (Alticola roylei) usually gives birth to around 5 babies.With 10 litters per year, that sums up to a yearly offspring of 50 babies.
Upon birth, they weight 294 grams (0.65 lbs) and measure 4 cm (0′ 2″). They are a member of the Muridae family (genus: Alticola). An adult Royle’s mountain vole grows up to a size of 10.7 cm (0′ 5″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
Royle’s mountain vole (Alticola roylei) is a species of rodent in the family Cricetidae.It is found in China, Nepal and India.
Other animals of the family Muridae
Royle’s mountain vole is a member of the Muridae, as are these animals:
- Temminck’s mouse with 3 babies per pregnancy
- Malabar spiny dormouse becoming 1.67 years old
- Middendorf’s vole with 5 babies per pregnancy
- Hartwig’s soft-furred mouse with 3 babies per pregnancy
- Biting chinchilla mouse weighting only 82 grams
- Euryoryzomys russatus weighting only 60 grams
- Peromyscus maniculatus with 4 babies per pregnancy
- Greater mole-rat with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Cape short-eared gerbil with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Large vesper mouse with 5 babies per pregnancy
Animals that share a litter size with Royle’s mountain vole
Those animals also give birth to 5 babies at once:
- Christy’s dormouse
- American pygmy shrew
- Sagebrush vole
- Greater fat-tailed jerboa
- Fringe-tailed gerbil
- Eastern quoll
- Middendorf’s vole
- Paucident planigale
- Silent dormouse
- Northern grass mouse
Animals with the same weight as a Royle’s mountain vole
What other animals weight around 37 grams (0.08 lbs)?
- Somali elephant shrew weighting 32 grams
- Ernst Mayr’s water rat weighting 42 grams
- Pale spear-nosed bat weighting 36 grams
- Cairo spiny mouse weighting 41 grams
- Northern mole vole weighting 40 grams
- Chihuahuan mouse weighting 40 grams
- Nayarit mouse weighting 40 grams
- Fringe-lipped bat weighting 36 grams
- Aztec mouse weighting 34 grams
- Tschudi’s slender opossum weighting 41 grams