How many baby African sheath-tailed bats are in a litter?
A African sheath-tailed bat (Coleura afra) usually gives birth to around 1 babies.With 1 litters per year, that sums up to a yearly offspring of 1 babies.
Upon birth, they weight 411 grams (0.91 lbs) and measure 2.9 cm (0′ 2″). They are a member of the Emballonuridae family (genus: Coleura). An adult African sheath-tailed bat grows up to a size of 46.9 cm (1′ 7″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
The African sheath-tailed bat (Coleura afra) is a species of sac-winged bat in the family Emballonuridae found in Angola, Benin, the Central African Republic, the Republic of the Congo, the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Ivory Coast, Djibouti, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Kenya, Madagascar, Mozambique, Nigeria, Somalia, Sudan, Tanzania, Togo, Uganda, and Yemen.Its natural habitats are dry savanna, subarctic shrubland, subtropical or tropical dry shrubland, caves, and hot deserts. It is threatened by habitat loss, although still ranked as least concern.A young African sheath-tailed bat is called a pup, and a group is called a colony or a cloud.
Other animals of the family Emballonuridae
African sheath-tailed bat is a member of the Emballonuridae, as are these animals:
- Greater sac-winged bat weighting only 8 grams
- Beccari’s sheath-tailed bat weighting only 4 grams
- Egyptian tomb bat weighting only 24 grams
- Frosted sac-winged bat with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Northern ghost bat with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Coastal sheath-tailed bat weighting only 12 grams
- Lesser sheath-tailed bat with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Long-winged tomb bat with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Thomas’s sac-winged bat with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Greater ghost bat weighting only 12 grams
Animals that share a litter size with African sheath-tailed bat
Those animals also give birth to 1 babies at once:
- Frosted sac-winged bat
- Silver-haired bat
- Rufous soft-furred spiny rat
- Collared mangabey
- Scrub hare
- Purple-faced langur
- Tufted capuchin
- Bald uakari
- Javan rusa
- Western red colobus
Animals with the same weight as a African sheath-tailed bat
What other animals weight around 10 grams (0.02 lbs)?
- Variegated butterfly bat weighting 11 grams
- Common planigale weighting 12 grams
- Silver-haired bat weighting 11 grams
- Little broad-nosed bat weighting 10 grams
- Allen’s big-eared bat weighting 12 grams
- Pilliga mouse weighting 10 grams
- Dwarf little fruit bat weighting 9 grams
- Darling’s horseshoe bat weighting 8 grams
- Darien harvest mouse weighting 12 grams
- Negros shrew weighting 11 grams