How many baby Rufous soft-furred spiny rats are in a litter?
A Rufous soft-furred spiny rat (Diplomys labilis) usually gives birth to around 1 babies.
Each of those little ones spend around 55 days as a fetus before they are released into the wild. Upon birth, they weight 59 grams (0.13 lbs) and measure 27.5 cm (0′ 11″). They are a member of the Echimyidae family (genus: Diplomys). An adult Rufous soft-furred spiny rat grows up to a size of 7.9 cm (0′ 4″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
The rufous soft-furred spiny-rat (Diplomys labilis), known as ratón espinoso meaning “spiny” or “thorny” rat in Spanish, is a species of rodent in the family Echimyidae.It is found in Colombia, Ecuador, and Panama. In November 2015, it was spotted for the first time in Osa, Costa Rica by the Costa Rican researcher Jim Córdoba-Alfaro.It is nocturnal and lives in trees, feeding on fruit and young shoots. The females give birth to one or two young, which stay with the mother for about a year before becoming mature.
Other animals of the family Echimyidae
Rufous soft-furred spiny rat is a member of the Echimyidae, as are these animals:
- Soft-spined Atlantic spiny rat with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Colombian spiny rat weighting only 312 grams
- Amazon bamboo rat weighting only 650 grams
- Elias’s Atlantic spiny rat with 3 babies per pregnancy
- Atlantic bamboo rat with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Bristle-spined rat weighting around 1.3 kilograms (2.87 lbs)
- Bolivian bamboo rat weighting only 729 grams
- Simons’s spiny rat weighting only 284 grams
- Giant tree-rat weighting only 584 grams
- Guyenne spiny rat with 2 babies per pregnancy
Animals that share a litter size with Rufous soft-furred spiny rat
Those animals also give birth to 1 babies at once:
- Greater kudu
- Sunda pangolin
- Fraser’s dolphin
- Pig-tailed langur
- Black wallaroo
- Link rat
- South American fur seal
Animals with the same weight as a Rufous soft-furred spiny rat
What other animals weight around 282 grams (0.62 lbs)?
- Yellow-faced pocket gopher weighting 266 grams
- Savile’s bandicoot rat weighting 260 grams
- Orange-brown Atlantic tree-rat weighting 296 grams
- Lombok flying fox weighting 256 grams
- Silky anteater weighting 259 grams
- Pallas’s squirrel weighting 283 grams
- Lowland ringtail possum weighting 300 grams
- Long-eared hedgehog weighting 332 grams
- Calabar angwantibo weighting 258 grams
- Greenish naked-backed fruit bat weighting 236 grams