How many baby Climbing shrews are in a litter?
A Climbing shrew (Suncus megalura) usually gives birth to around 1 babies.
Upon birth, they weight 1 grams (0 lbs) and measure 1.7 cm (0′ 1″). They are a member of the Soricidae family (genus: Suncus). An adult Climbing shrew grows up to a size of 49.9 cm (1′ 8″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
The climbing shrew (Suncus megalura) is a species of mammal in the family Soricidae, which is found in subtropical Africa. It is found in Angola, Benin, Burundi, Cameroon, Central African Republic, Republic of the Congo, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Ivory Coast, Ethiopia, Ghana, Guinea, Kenya, Liberia, Malawi, Mozambique, Nigeria, Rwanda, Sierra Leone, South Sudan, Tanzania, Togo, Uganda, Zambia, and Zimbabwe. Its natural habitats are subtropical or tropical moist lowland forest, subtropical or tropical moist montane forest, and moist savanna.
Other animals of the family Soricidae
Climbing shrew is a member of the Soricidae, as are these animals:
- Blackish small-eared shrew weighting only 8 grams
- Lesser large-headed shrew weighting only 12 grams
- Taiwanese brown-toothed shrew with 3 babies per pregnancy
- Nicobar shrew with 3 babies per pregnancy
- Verapaz shrew weighting only 7 grams
- Laxmann’s shrew with 7 babies per pregnancy
- Etruscan shrew with 4 babies per pregnancy
- Radde’s shrew with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Wimmer’s shrew weighting only 23 grams
- Mount Cameroon forest shrew with 1 babies per pregnancy
Animals that share a litter size with Climbing shrew
Those animals also give birth to 1 babies at once:
- Philippine tarsier
- Grandidier’s mongoose
- Birdlike noctule
- Mentawai langur
- Big-headed African mole-rat
- Long-fingered triok
- Mount Kenya mole shrew
- Goeldi’s marmoset
- Silver-haired bat
- Spotted giant flying squirrel
Animals with the same weight as a Climbing shrew
What other animals weight around 5 grams (0.01 lbs)?
- Savi’s pipistrelle weighting 6 grams
- Mount Lyell shrew weighting 5 grams
- Bicolored musk shrew weighting 5 grams
- Blanford’s bat weighting 6 grams
- Paratriaenops furculus weighting 5 grams
- Cinereus shrew weighting 4 grams
- Common pipistrelle weighting 5 grams
- Chinese pipistrelle weighting 5 grams
- Percival’s trident bat weighting 4 grams
- Broad-headed pipistrelle weighting 6 grams