It is hard to guess what a Savi’s pipistrelle weights. But we have the answer:
An adult Savi’s pipistrelle (Pipistrellus savii) on average weights 6 grams (0.01 lbs).
The Savi’s pipistrelle is from the family Vespertilionidae (genus: Pipistrellus). When reaching adult age, they grow up to 4.4 cm (0′ 2″). On average, Savi’s pipistrelles can have babies 1 times per year with a litter size of 2.
As a reference: An average human weights in at 62 kg (137 lbs) and reaches an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). Humans spend 280 days (40 weeks) in the womb of their mother and reach around 75 years of age.
Savi’s pipistrelle (Hypsugo savii sometimes classified as Pipistrellus savii) is a species of vesper bat found across North West Africa, the Mediterranean region and the Middle East. It feeds at night on flying insects. In the summer it roosts under bark, in holes in trees, in old buildings and in rock crevices but in winter it prefers roosts where the temperature is more even such as caves, underground vaults and deep rock cracks.
Animals of the same family as a Savi’s pipistrelle
We found other animals of the Vespertilionidae family:
- Peters’s trumpet-eared bat with a weight of 4 grams
- Harlequin bat with a weight of 22 grams
- Variegated butterfly bat with a weight of 11 grams
- Pipistrellus mimus with a weight of 2 grams
- Groove-toothed bat with a weight of 4 grams
- Southern forest bat with a weight of 5 grams
- Common thick-thumbed bat with a weight of 4 grams
- Eastern false pipistrelle with a weight of 22 grams
- Myotis vivesi with a weight of 25 grams
- Broad-headed pipistrelle with a weight of 6 grams
Animals with the same weight as a Savi’s pipistrelle
As a comparison, here are some other animals that weight as much as the Pipistrellus savii:
- Schmidts’s big-eared bat bringing 7 grams to the scale
- Golden-tipped bat bringing 6 grams to the scale
- Brown pipistrelle bringing 6 grams to the scale
- Daubenton’s bat bringing 7 grams to the scale
- Large-eared tenrec bringing 6 grams to the scale
- Tundra shrew bringing 7 grams to the scale
- Vagrant shrew bringing 5 grams to the scale
- Rendall’s serotine bringing 6 grams to the scale
- Egyptian pygmy shrew bringing 7 grams to the scale
- Iberian shrew bringing 6 grams to the scale
Animals with the same litter size as a Savi’s pipistrelle
Here is a list of animals that have the same number of babies per litter (2) as a Savi’s pipistrelle: