How many baby Darien harvest mouses are in a litter?
A Darien harvest mouse (Reithrodontomys darienensis) usually gives birth to around 3 babies.
Upon birth, they weight 4.5 kg (9.92 lbs) and measure 4.2 cm (0′ 2″). They are a member of the Muridae family (genus: Reithrodontomys). An adult Darien harvest mouse grows up to a size of 8.9 cm (0′ 4″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
The Darien harvest mouse (Reithrodontomys darienensis) is a species of rodent in the family Cricetidae.It is found only in Panama.
Other animals of the family Muridae
Darien harvest mouse is a member of the Muridae, as are these animals:
- One-toothed shrew mouse weighting only 21 grams
- Stolzmann’s crab-eating rat weighting only 84 grams
- Rio de Janeiro arboreal rat weighting only 93 grams
- Obi mosaic-tailed rat weighting only 71 grams
- Turkestan rat with 4 babies per pregnancy
- Cameroon soft-furred mouse with 3 babies per pregnancy
- Rümmler’s brush mouse weighting only 29 grams
- Griselda’s striped grass mouse with 3 babies per pregnancy
- Montane wood mouse with 4 babies per pregnancy
- Hoffmann’s rat with 1 babies per pregnancy
Animals that share a litter size with Darien harvest mouse
Those animals also give birth to 3 babies at once:
- Southern mole vole
- Broad-striped dasyure
- Small Japanese mole
- Creeping vole
- Oldfield mouse
- Cape golden mole
- Desert hedgehog
- Plains pocket gopher
- Abrothrix longipilis
- Pinyon mouse
Animals with the same weight as a Darien harvest mouse
What other animals weight around 12 grams (0.03 lbs)?
- Silver fruit-eating bat weighting 12 grams
- True’s shrew mole weighting 14 grams
- Southern yellow bat weighting 12 grams
- Semon’s leaf-nosed bat weighting 14 grams
- Swamp musk shrew weighting 10 grams
- Para dog-faced bat weighting 12 grams
- Common bent-wing bat weighting 11 grams
- Szechwan myotis weighting 11 grams
- Himalayan shrew weighting 14 grams
- Big-eared brown bat weighting 11 grams