How many baby Dryas monkeys are in a litter?
A Dryas monkey (Cercopithecus dryas) usually gives birth to around 1 babies.
Upon birth, they weight 468 grams (1.03 lbs) and measure 2.9 cm (0′ 2″). They are a member of the Cercopithecidae family (genus: Cercopithecus). An adult Dryas monkey grows up to a size of 47 cm (1′ 7″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
The Dryas monkey (Cercopithecus dryas), also known as Salonga monkey, ekele, or inoko, is a little-known species of guenon found only in the Congo Basin, restricted to the left bank of the Congo River. It is now established that the animals that had been classified as Cercopithecus salongo (the common name being Zaire Diana monkey) were in fact Dryas monkeys. Some older sources treat the Dryas monkey as a subspecies of the Diana monkey and classify it as C. diana dryas, but it is geographically isolated from any known Diana monkey population.While the Dryas monkey had been considered data deficient, evidence suggests it is very rare and its total population possibly numbers fewer than 200 individuals. Consequently, its status was changed to critically endangered in the 2008 IUCN Red List. Along with being listed by the IUCN, this species is also listed on Appendix II of CITES. However, in January 2019 the IUCN status was changed to endangered following the discovery of this species at eight locations in Lomami National Park.
Other animals of the family Cercopithecidae
Dryas monkey is a member of the Cercopithecidae, as are these animals:
- Lion-tailed macaque with 1 babies per pregnancy
- White-thighed surili weighting around 5.9 kilograms (13.01 lbs)
- Hamlyn’s monkey with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Maroon leaf monkey with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Collared mangabey with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Drill (animal) with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Celebes crested macaque with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Black snub-nosed monkey weighting around 11 kilograms (24.25 lbs)
- Sclater’s guenon with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Sun-tailed monkey with 1 babies per pregnancy
Animals that share a litter size with Dryas monkey
Those animals also give birth to 1 babies at once:
- Sun bear
- New Zealand sea lion
- Climbing shrew
- Woodlark cuscus
- Horsfield’s tarsier
- Southern needle-clawed bushbaby
- Javan slit-faced bat
- Southern dog-faced bat
- Rüppell’s broad-nosed bat
Animals with the same weight as a Dryas monkey
What other animals weight around 2.78 kg (6.13 lbs)?
- Cape fox usually reaching 2.92 kgs (6.44 lbs)
- Orinoco agouti usually reaching 2.65 kgs (5.84 lbs)
- Eastern falanouc usually reaching 2.78 kgs (6.13 lbs)
- Asian palm civet usually reaching 3.2 kgs (7.05 lbs)
- Cozumel raccoon usually reaching 2.96 kgs (6.53 lbs)
- Woolly hare usually reaching 2.47 kgs (5.45 lbs)
- Colombian white-faced capuchin usually reaching 3.01 kgs (6.64 lbs)
- Red lemur usually reaching 2.39 kgs (5.27 lbs)
- Rüppell’s fox usually reaching 3.25 kgs (7.17 lbs)
- Sand cat usually reaching 2.82 kgs (6.22 lbs)