How many baby Ghost bats are in a litter?
A Ghost bat (Macroderma gigas) usually gives birth to around 1 babies.With 1 litters per year, that sums up to a yearly offspring of 1 babies.
Upon birth, they weight 22 grams (0.05 lbs) and measure 7.8 cm (0′ 4″). They are a member of the Megadermatidae family (genus: Macroderma). An adult Ghost bat grows up to a size of 11.5 cm (0′ 5″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
The ghost bat (Macroderma gigas) is a flying mammal found in northern Australia. The species is the only Australian bat that preys on large vertebrates – birds, reptiles and other mammals – which they detect using acute sight and hearing, combined with echolocation, while waiting in ambush at a perch. The wing membrane and bare skin is pale in colour, their fur is light or dark grey over the back and paler at the front. The species has a prominent and simple nose-leaf, their large ears are elongated and joined at lower half, and the eyes are also large and dark in colour.The first description of the species was published in 1880, its recorded range has significantly contracted since that time.
Other animals of the family Megadermatidae
Ghost bat is a member of the Megadermatidae, as are these animals:
- Heart-nosed bat with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Greater false vampire bat with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Lesser false vampire bat with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Yellow-winged bat with 1 babies per pregnancy
Animals that share a litter size with Ghost bat
Those animals also give birth to 1 babies at once:
- Dent’s vlei rat
- Red-legged pademelon
- Southern muriqui
- Preuss’s red colobus
- Atlantic titi
- Thomas’s rope squirrel
- Wall-roosting mouse-eared bat
- Naemorhedus sumatraensis
- Earless water rat
- Lord Derby’s scaly-tailed squirrel
Animals with the same weight as a Ghost bat
What other animals weight around 124 grams (0.27 lbs)?
- Dian’s tarsier weighting 110 grams
- Lesser ricefield rat weighting 104 grams
- Daurian pika weighting 131 grams
- Blick’s grass rat weighting 128 grams
- Sanborn’s squirrel weighting 136 grams
- Yellow-haired hill rat weighting 111 grams
- Slender rat weighting 109 grams
- Highland streaked tenrec weighting 102 grams
- Creek groove-toothed swamp rat weighting 121 grams
- Phillips’s gerbil weighting 127 grams
Animals with the same size as a Ghost bat
Also reaching around 11.5 cm (0′ 5″) in size do these animals:
- Narrow-headed slender opossum gets as big as 10.5 cm (0′ 5″)
- Big-eared woolly bat gets as big as 10.3 cm (0′ 5″)
- Taiwan vole gets as big as 12.4 cm (0′ 5″)
- Yucatan deer mouse gets as big as 10 cm (0′ 4″)
- Desert kangaroo rat gets as big as 13.8 cm (0′ 6″)
- Mindoro climbing rat gets as big as 12.3 cm (0′ 5″)
- Red-tailed chipmunk gets as big as 12.4 cm (0′ 5″)
- Western jumping mouse gets as big as 9.4 cm (0′ 4″)
- Hartwig’s soft-furred mouse gets as big as 11.5 cm (0′ 5″)
- Coxing’s white-bellied rat gets as big as 13 cm (0′ 6″)