How many baby Gray climbing mouses are in a litter?
A Gray climbing mouse (Dendromus melanotis) usually gives birth to around 3 babies.
Each of those little ones spend around 25 days as a fetus before they are released into the wild. Upon birth, they weight 4 grams (0.01 lbs) and measure 3.6 cm (0′ 2″). They are a member of the Nesomyidae family (genus: Dendromus). An adult Gray climbing mouse grows up to a size of 51.5 cm (1′ 9″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
The gray climbing mouse (Dendromus melanotis) is a species of rodent in the family Nesomyidae.It is found in Angola, Benin, Botswana, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Ethiopia, Guinea, Liberia, Malawi, Mozambique, Namibia, Nigeria, Rwanda, South Africa, Eswatini, Tanzania, Uganda, Zambia, and Zimbabwe.Its natural habitats are dry savanna, Mediterranean-type shrubby vegetation, subtropical or tropical dry lowland grassland, and temperate desert.
Other animals of the family Nesomyidae
Gray climbing mouse is a member of the Nesomyidae, as are these animals:
- Hairy-tailed antsangy weighting only 219 grams
- Betsileo short-tailed rat weighting only 93 grams
- White-bellied nesomys weighting only 214 grams
- Malagasy mountain mouse weighting only 25 grams
- Brants’s climbing mouse with 3 babies per pregnancy
- Ellerman’s tufted-tailed rat weighting only 100 grams
- Pousargues African fat mouse weighting only 40 grams
- Petter’s tufted-tailed rat weighting only 75 grams
- Lovat’s climbing mouse weighting only 12 grams
- Western nesomys weighting only 155 grams
Animals that share a litter size with Gray climbing mouse
Those animals also give birth to 3 babies at once:
- European mole
- Bolivian big-eared mouse
- Acacia rat
- Great jerboa
- Andean mountain cavy
- Large mole
- Peters’s mouse
- Little native mouse
- San Diego pocket mouse
- Mongolian five-toed jerboa
Animals with the same weight as a Gray climbing mouse
What other animals weight around 9 grams (0.02 lbs)?
- Chestnut long-tongued bat weighting 8 grams
- Black-gilded pipistrelle weighting 10 grams
- Noack’s roundleaf bat weighting 10 grams
- Swamp musk shrew weighting 10 grams
- Temminck’s mouse weighting 8 grams
- Mahomet mouse weighting 10 grams
- Tricolored big-eared bat weighting 8 grams
- Little native mouse weighting 8 grams
- Brants’s climbing mouse weighting 10 grams
- Large rufous horseshoe bat weighting 10 grams