How many baby Greater noctule bats are in a litter?
A Greater noctule bat (Nyctalus lasiopterus) usually gives birth to around 1 babies.
Upon birth, they weight 5 grams (0.01 lbs) and measure 3.5 cm (0′ 2″). They are a member of the Vespertilionidae family (genus: Nyctalus). An adult Greater noctule bat grows up to a size of 13.4 cm (0′ 6″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
The greater noctule bat (Nyctalus lasiopterus) is a rare carnivorous bat found in Europe, West Asia, and North Africa. It is the largest and least studied bat in Europe with a wingspan of up to 46 centimetres (18 in) and is one of the few bat species to feed on passerine birds. Greater noctule bats are the only bat species to hunt birds on the wing rather than when roosting. The greater noctule bat has wings adapted for open-air hunting and uses echolocation frequencies above the hearing range of birds.
Other animals of the family Vespertilionidae
Greater noctule bat is a member of the Vespertilionidae, as are these animals:
- Broad-headed pipistrelle weighting only 6 grams
- Lesser mouse-eared bat becoming 19.75 years old
- Southwestern myotis with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Greater long-fingered bat weighting only 14 grams
- Nyctophilus arnhemensis weighting only 6 grams
- Hairy-tailed bat weighting only 14 grams
- Brown pipistrelle weighting only 6 grams
- Eastern long-eared bat with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Thick-eared bat weighting only 8 grams
- Silver-haired bat with 1 babies per pregnancy
Animals that share a litter size with Greater noctule bat
Those animals also give birth to 1 babies at once:
- Bechstein’s bat
- Brazilian porcupine
- Bioko Allen’s bushbaby
- Southeastern pocket gopher
- Link rat
- Brown woolly monkey
- Lowland mosaic-tailed rat
- Brown-throated sloth
- Whiskered flying squirrel
Animals with the same weight as a Greater noctule bat
What other animals weight around 45 grams (0.1 lbs)?
- Northern grass mouse weighting 44 grams
- Ecuadorian grass mouse weighting 39 grams
- MacConnell’s climbing mouse weighting 41 grams
- Irenomys weighting 43 grams
- Red-nosed mouse weighting 46 grams
- Buenos Aires leaf-eared mouse weighting 42 grams
- Chestnut-striped opossum weighting 45 grams
- Panamint chipmunk weighting 51 grams
- Social vole weighting 48 grams
- Chestnut tree mouse weighting 46 grams