How many baby Grey red-backed voles are in a litter?
A Grey red-backed vole (Myodes rufocanus) usually gives birth to around 5 babies.With 3 litters per year, that sums up to a yearly offspring of 15 babies.
Upon birth, they weight 2 grams (0 lbs) and measure 3 cm (0′ 2″). They are a member of the Cricetidae family (genus: Myodes). An adult Grey red-backed vole grows up to a size of 10.6 cm (0′ 5″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
The grey red-backed vole or the grey-sided vole (Myodes rufocanus) is a species of vole. An adult grey red-backed vole weighs 20-50 grams. This species ranges across northern Eurasia, including northern China, the northern Korean Peninsula, and the islands of Sakhalin and Hokkaidō. It is larger and longer-legged than the northern red-backed vole (Myodes rutilus), which covers a similar range and it is also sympatric with the Norwegian lemming (Lemmus lemmus).
Other animals of the family Cricetidae
Grey red-backed vole is a member of the Cricetidae, as are these animals:
- Kolan vole with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Western red-backed vole with 3 babies per pregnancy
- Hairy-tailed bolo mouse with 4 babies per pregnancy
- Southern vole weighting only 35 grams
- Blyth’s vole with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Middendorf’s vole with 5 babies per pregnancy
- Taiwan vole with 1 babies per pregnancy
- North American brown lemming with 6 babies per pregnancy
- Lesser Wilfred’s mouse weighting only 22 grams
- Pleasant bolo mouse weighting only 27 grams
Animals that share a litter size with Grey red-backed vole
Those animals also give birth to 5 babies at once:
- Natal multimammate mouse
- Southern white-breasted hedgehog
- Olive grass mouse
- Daurian ground squirrel
- Western quoll
- Pacific jumping mouse
- Pale field rat
- Slender shrew
- Oligoryzomys flavescens
- Garden dormouse
Animals with the same weight as a Grey red-backed vole
What other animals weight around 36 grams (0.08 lbs)?
- Guatemalan deer mouse weighting 40 grams
- Red-cheeked dunnart weighting 35 grams
- Irenomys weighting 43 grams
- Short-haired water rat weighting 33 grams
- Crested-tailed deer mouse weighting 40 grams
- Chinanteco deer mouse weighting 40 grams
- California mouse weighting 42 grams
- Common vampire bat weighting 33 grams
- Cloud forest grass mouse weighting 39 grams
- Anderson’s gerbil weighting 31 grams