How many baby Kashmir flying squirrels are in a litter?
A Kashmir flying squirrel (Eoglaucomys fimbriatus) usually gives birth to around 3 babies.With 2 litters per year, that sums up to a yearly offspring of 6 babies.
Upon birth, they weight 674 grams (1.49 lbs) and measure 3.6 cm (0′ 2″). They are a member of the Sciuridae family (genus: Eoglaucomys). An adult Kashmir flying squirrel grows up to a size of 6.5 cm (0′ 3″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
The Kashmir flying squirrel (Eoglaucomys fimbriatus) is a species of rodent in the family Sciuridae. It is monotypic within the genus Eoglaucomys. It is found in India and Pakistan. Its natural habitat is subtropical or tropical dry forests. It is threatened by habitat loss. The Afghan flying squirrel is usually considered a subspecies.
Other animals of the family Sciuridae
Kashmir flying squirrel is a member of the Sciuridae, as are these animals:
- Plantain squirrel with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Cape ground squirrel with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Columbian ground squirrel with 3 babies per pregnancy
- Southern flying squirrel with 3 babies per pregnancy
- Cascade golden-mantled ground squirrel with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Mentawai three-striped squirrel weighting only 241 grams
- Complex-toothed flying squirrel with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Asian red-cheeked squirrel weighting only 201 grams
- Franklin’s ground squirrel with 9 babies per pregnancy
- Cream-coloured giant squirrel weighting around 1.16 kilograms (2.56 lbs)
Animals that share a litter size with Kashmir flying squirrel
Those animals also give birth to 3 babies at once:
- Transbaikal zokor
- Arizona gray squirrel
- Creeping vole
- Abert’s squirrel
- Tullberg’s soft-furred mouse
- Balochistan gerbil
- Northern collared lemming
- Dark kangaroo mouse
- Horsfield’s shrew
Animals with the same weight as a Kashmir flying squirrel
What other animals weight around 510 grams (1.12 lbs)?
- Spermophilus relictus weighting 600 grams
- Marbled polecat weighting 594 grams
- Lesser bamboo rat weighting 472 grams
- Franklin’s ground squirrel weighting 458 grams
- European hamster weighting 429 grams
- Oaxacan pocket gopher weighting 499 grams
- Gray-backed sportive lemur weighting 506 grams
- Epixerus ebii wilsoni weighting 422 grams
- Striped bandicoot weighting 542 grams
- Michoacan pocket gopher weighting 474 grams