How many baby Kemp’s gerbils are in a litter?
A Kemp’s gerbil (Gerbilliscus kempi) usually gives birth to around 4 babies.
Each of those little ones spend around 25 days as a fetus before they are released into the wild. Upon birth, they weight 5 grams (0.01 lbs) and measure 3.6 cm (0′ 2″). They are a member of the Muridae family (genus: Gerbilliscus). An adult Kemp’s gerbil grows up to a size of 15 cm (0′ 6″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
Kemp’s gerbil (Gerbilliscus kempi) is a species of gerbil found in Benin, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Central African Republic, Chad, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Ivory Coast, Ethiopia, Ghana, Guinea, Kenya, Mali, Nigeria, Rwanda, Sierra Leone, Sudan, Togo, Uganda, and possibly Liberia. Its natural habitats are subtropical or tropical dry forests, dry savanna, subtropical or tropical dry shrubland, arable land, and pastureland.
Other animals of the family Muridae
Kemp’s gerbil is a member of the Muridae, as are these animals:
- Southern African spiny mouse with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Rupp’s mouse weighting only 48 grams
- Angular hocicudo weighting only 67 grams
- Chiruromys lamia with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Blick’s grass rat weighting only 128 grams
- Gray spiny mouse raching a size of 8.5 cm (0′ 4″)
- Oecomys bicolor with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Musso’s fish-eating rat weighting only 40 grams
- Grey dwarf hamster with 5 babies per pregnancy
- Shaw’s jird with 5 babies per pregnancy
Animals that share a litter size with Kemp’s gerbil
Those animals also give birth to 4 babies at once:
- Sonoma chipmunk
- Alexander’s kusimanse
- Sandstone false antechinus
- Gray-collared chipmunk
- Greater white-toothed shrew
- New England cottontail
- Pallas’s cat
- Northern pocket gopher
- Sierra Madre ground squirrel
- Lataste’s gerbil
Animals with the same weight as a Kemp’s gerbil
What other animals weight around 100 grams (0.22 lbs)?
- Shaw’s jird weighting 90 grams
- Dusky spiny tree-rat weighting 108 grams
- Pygmy scaly-tailed flying squirrel weighting 100 grams
- Highland streaked tenrec weighting 102 grams
- Tweedy’s crab-eating rat weighting 119 grams
- Nelson’s kangaroo rat weighting 87 grams
- Darling Downs hopping mouse weighting 89 grams
- African groove-toothed rat weighting 111 grams
- Coues’s climbing mouse weighting 89 grams
- Pará spiny tree-rat weighting 108 grams