How many baby Little ground squirrels are in a litter?
A Little ground squirrel (Spermophilus pygmaeus) usually gives birth to around 7 babies.With 1 litters per year, that sums up to a yearly offspring of 7 babies.
Each of those little ones spend around 26 days as a fetus before they are released into the wild. Upon birth, they weight 11 grams (0.02 lbs) and measure 5.2 cm (0′ 3″). They are a member of the Sciuridae family (genus: Spermophilus). An adult Little ground squirrel grows up to a size of 17.9 cm (0′ 8″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
The little ground squirrel or little souslik, (Spermophilus pygmaeus) is a species of rodent in the family Sciuridae. It is found from Eastern Europe to Central Asia.Its subspecies include Spermophilus pygmaeus pygmaeus, Spermophilus pygmaeus brauneri, Spermophilus pygmaeus herbicolus and Spermophilus pygmaeus mugosaricus. The Caucasian mountain ground squirrel (Spermophilus musicus) is now considered to be a separate species.
Other animals of the family Sciuridae
Little ground squirrel is a member of the Sciuridae, as are these animals:
- Siberian chipmunk with 5 babies per pregnancy
- Golden-mantled ground squirrel with 5 babies per pregnancy
- Arrow flying squirrel weighting only 49 grams
- Bornean mountain ground squirrel weighting only 130 grams
- Brazilian squirrel weighting only 177 grams
- Gray marmot with 5 babies per pregnancy
- Townsend’s ground squirrel with 8 babies per pregnancy
- Texas antelope squirrel with 9 babies per pregnancy
- Red-tailed chipmunk with 4 babies per pregnancy
- Belding’s ground squirrel with 5 babies per pregnancy
Animals that share a litter size with Little ground squirrel
Those animals also give birth to 7 babies at once:
- Northern Idaho ground squirrel
- Flat-skulled shrew
- Long-tailed ground squirrel
- Steppe polecat
- Stripe-faced dunnart
- Drylands vesper mouse
- Pallas’s pika
- Vinogradov’s jird
- Lesser bandicoot rat
- Laxmann’s shrew
Animals with the same weight as a Little ground squirrel
What other animals weight around 174 grams (0.38 lbs)?
- Holochilus brasiliensis weighting 155 grams
- Bridges’s degu weighting 162 grams
- Porteous’s tuco-tuco weighting 192 grams
- Lorentz’s mosaic-tailed rat weighting 150 grams
- Fossorial giant rat weighting 168 grams
- Large-eared pika weighting 205 grams
- Long-footed treeshrew weighting 168 grams
- Long-tailed spiny rat weighting 205 grams
- Four-striped ground squirrel weighting 180 grams
- Speke’s pectinator weighting 169 grams