How many baby Moustached tamarins are in a litter?
A Moustached tamarin (Saguinus mystax) usually gives birth to around 1 babies.
Each of those little ones spend around 148 days as a fetus before they are released into the wild. Upon birth, they weight 46 grams (0.1 lbs) and measure 3.7 cm (0′ 2″). They are a member of the Callitrichidae family (genus: Saguinus). An adult Moustached tamarin grows up to a size of 26.5 cm (0′ 11″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
The moustached tamarin or Spix’s moustached tamarin (Saguinus mystax) is a tamarin found in tropical forests in Brazil, Bolivia and Peru. It is black with a white moustache, white nose, and brownish back. Its diet consists mainly of fruits, tree gum and insects. In the north-eastern Peruvian Amazonia, frogs are included in their diet due reduced fruit availability.There are two subspecies of the moustached tamarin:Spix’s moustached tamarin, Saguinus mystax mystaxWhite-rumped moustached tamarin, Saguinus mystax plutoIt frequently associates with Geoffroy’s saddle-back tamarin and with brown-mantled tamarin.
Other animals of the family Callitrichidae
Moustached tamarin is a member of the Callitrichidae, as are these animals:
- Buffy-headed marmoset with 2 babies per pregnancy
- White-headed marmoset weighting only 342 grams
- Red-handed tamarin with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Superagüi lion tamarin weighting only 605 grams
- Black-tufted marmoset with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Common marmoset with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Pygmy marmoset with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Buffy-tufted marmoset with 2 babies per pregnancy
- White-footed tamarin with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Black lion tamarin weighting only 656 grams
Animals that share a litter size with Moustached tamarin
Those animals also give birth to 1 babies at once:
- Olive baboon
- Buru babirusa
- Smoky pocket gopher
- Peters’s trumpet-eared bat
- Preuss’s red colobus
- Large slit-faced bat
- Blyth’s vole
- Gould’s long-eared bat
- Greater mouse-tailed bat
Animals with the same weight as a Moustached tamarin
What other animals weight around 557 grams (1.23 lbs)?
- Bulmer’s fruit bat weighting 621 grams
- Golden-headed lion tamarin weighting 573 grams
- Central Texas pocket gopher weighting 600 grams
- Chiriqui pocket gopher weighting 650 grams
- Giant tree-rat weighting 584 grams
- Junín red squirrel weighting 482 grams
- Musky rat-kangaroo weighting 535 grams
- Arizona gray squirrel weighting 647 grams
- Short-tailed chinchilla weighting 499 grams
- Weyland ringtail possum weighting 458 grams