How many baby Pale-throated sloths are in a litter?
A Pale-throated sloth (Bradypus tridactylus) usually gives birth to around 1 babies.
Each of those little ones spend around 126 days as a fetus before they are released into the wild. Upon birth, they weight 179 grams (0.39 lbs) and measure 4.7 cm (0′ 2″). They are a member of the Bradypodidae family (genus: Bradypus). An adult Pale-throated sloth grows up to a size of 54.8 cm (1′ 10″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
The pale-throated sloth (Bradypus tridactylus) is a species of three-toed sloth that inhabits tropical rainforests in northern South America.It is similar in appearance to, and often confused with, the brown-throated sloth, which has a much wider distribution. Genetic evidence has been interpreted to suggest the two species diverged only around 400,000 years ago, although the most recent evidence indicates the split was closer to 6 million years.
Other animals of the family Bradypodidae
Pale-throated sloth is a member of the Bradypodidae, as are these animals:
Animals that share a litter size with Pale-throated sloth
Those animals also give birth to 1 babies at once:
- Red-eared guenon
- Greater glider
- Northern elephant seal
- Link rat
- Lesser kudu
- Bechstein’s bat
- Bare-eared squirrel monkey
- De Vis’s woolly rat
- Indian rhinoceros
- Seychelles fruit bat
Animals with the same weight as a Pale-throated sloth
What other animals weight around 4.33 kg (9.54 lbs)?
- Sechuran fox usually reaching 4.23 kgs (9.33 lbs)
- Long-tailed marmot usually reaching 4.35 kgs (9.59 lbs)
- Alaskan hare usually reaching 4.85 kgs (10.69 lbs)
- Crab-eating macaque usually reaching 4.58 kgs (10.1 lbs)
- Northern naked-tailed armadillo usually reaching 3.74 kgs (8.25 lbs)
- Arctic hare usually reaching 4.42 kgs (9.74 lbs)
- Bridled nail-tail wallaby usually reaching 4.95 kgs (10.91 lbs)
- Parma wallaby usually reaching 4.16 kgs (9.17 lbs)
- Bicolored-spined porcupine usually reaching 4.49 kgs (9.9 lbs)
- Asian small-clawed otter usually reaching 3.53 kgs (7.78 lbs)
Animals with the same size as a Pale-throated sloth
Also reaching around 54.8 cm (1′ 10″) in size do these animals:
- Mentawai langur gets as big as 51 cm (1′ 9″)
- Brazilian porcupine gets as big as 46.9 cm (1′ 7″)
- Günther’s dik-dik gets as big as 61.2 cm (2′ 1″)
- White-tailed mongoose gets as big as 57.3 cm (1′ 11″)
- Celebes crested macaque gets as big as 54.9 cm (1′ 10″)
- Sechuran fox gets as big as 55.8 cm (1′ 10″)
- Black crested gibbon gets as big as 54.5 cm (1′ 10″)
- Swift fox gets as big as 50.5 cm (1′ 8″)
- Alpine woolly rat gets as big as 44.2 cm (1′ 6″)
- Banded palm civet gets as big as 46 cm (1′ 7″)