How many baby Seychelles fruit bats are in a litter?
A Seychelles fruit bat (Pteropus seychellensis) usually gives birth to around 1 babies.With 1 litters per year, that sums up to a yearly offspring of 1 babies.
Each of those little ones spend around 156 days as a fetus before they are released into the wild. Upon birth, they weight 45 grams (0.1 lbs) and measure 15 cm (0′ 6″). They are a member of the Pteropodidae family (genus: Pteropus). An adult Seychelles fruit bat grows up to a size of 27.2 cm (0′ 11″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
The Seychelles fruit bat or Seychelles flying fox (Pteropus seychellensis) is a megabat found on the granitic islands of Seychelles, and on the Comoros and Mafia Island. It is a significant component of the ecosystems for the islands, dispersing the seeds of many tree species. Although it is hunted for meat on some islands, it remains abundant. It is particularly common on Silhouette Island.
Other animals of the family Pteropodidae
Seychelles fruit bat is a member of the Pteropodidae, as are these animals:
- Large flying fox with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Greenish naked-backed fruit bat weighting only 236 grams
- Sulawesi stripe-faced fruit bat weighting only 172 grams
- Long-tailed fruit bat with 1 babies per pregnancy
- New Britain naked-backed fruit bat with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Vanuatu flying fox weighting only 396 grams
- Mindanao pygmy fruit bat weighting only 16 grams
- Black flying fox with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Montane monkey-faced bat weighting only 290 grams
- Greater short-nosed fruit bat with 1 babies per pregnancy
Animals that share a litter size with Seychelles fruit bat
Those animals also give birth to 1 babies at once:
- Rio Beni titi
- Tonkin snub-nosed monkey
- Dent’s vlei rat
- Mohol bushbaby
- Proboscis monkey
- Rusty pipistrelle
- Brown greater galago
- Lowlands tree-kangaroo
- Egyptian fruit bat
- Plains viscacha
Animals with the same weight as a Seychelles fruit bat
What other animals weight around 491 grams (1.08 lbs)?
- Bougainville monkey-faced bat weighting 573 grams
- New Guinea waterside rat weighting 526 grams
- Giant Atlantic tree-rat weighting 502 grams
- Bagobo rat weighting 395 grams
- Junín red squirrel weighting 482 grams
- Moluccan naked-backed fruit bat weighting 439 grams
- Slender mongoose weighting 530 grams
- Michoacan pocket gopher weighting 474 grams
- Southern tuco-tuco weighting 403 grams
- Pemba flying fox weighting 541 grams