How many baby Large flying foxs are in a litter?
A Large flying fox (Pteropus vampyrus) usually gives birth to around 1 babies.With 1 litters per year, that sums up to a yearly offspring of 1 babies.
Upon birth, they weight 96 grams (0.21 lbs) and measure 15 cm (0′ 6″). They are a member of the Pteropodidae family (genus: Pteropus). An adult Large flying fox grows up to a size of 17.7 cm (0′ 7″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
The large flying fox (Pteropus vampyrus, formerly Pteropus giganteus), also known as the greater flying fox, Malayan flying fox, Malaysian flying fox, large fruit bat, kalang, or kalong, is a southeast Asian species of megabat in the family Pteropodidae. Despite its scientific name, it feeds exclusively on fruits, nectar, and flowers, like the other flying foxes of the genus Pteropus. It is noted for being one of the largest bats. As with nearly all other Old World fruit bats, it lacks the ability to echolocate but compensates for it with well-developed eyesight.
Other animals of the family Pteropodidae
Large flying fox is a member of the Pteropodidae, as are these animals:
- Moss-forest blossom bat weighting only 20 grams
- Madagascan rousette with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Gray flying fox weighting only 90 grams
- Solomons flying fox weighting only 661 grams
- White-winged flying fox weighting only 343 grams
- Grey-headed flying fox with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Angolan epauletted fruit bat with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Straw-coloured fruit bat with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Wahlberg’s epauletted fruit bat with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Pteropus gilliardi weighting only 403 grams
Animals that share a litter size with Large flying fox
Those animals also give birth to 1 babies at once:
- Marsh deer
- Whiptail wallaby
- Dwarf sperm whale
- Diadem leaf-nosed bat
- Blyth’s horseshoe bat
- Brown-mantled tamarin
- Chacoan mara
- Typical vlei rat
- Large slit-faced bat
- Red-necked pademelon
Animals with the same weight as a Large flying fox
What other animals weight around 1.03 kg (2.28 lbs)?
- Chestnut-bellied titi weighting 992 grams
- Plush-coated ringtail possum usually reaching 1.12 kgs (2.47 lbs)
- Molina’s hog-nosed skunk weighting 960 grams
- Mexican prairie dog weighting 900 grams
- Sunda flying lemur usually reaching 1.11 kgs (2.45 lbs)
- Emperor rat usually reaching 1 kgs (2.2 lbs)
- White-eared titi weighting 898 grams
- Desert cottontail weighting 882 grams
- White-eared opossum usually reaching 1.03 kgs (2.27 lbs)
- Coppery titi usually reaching 1.12 kgs (2.47 lbs)