How many baby Blyth’s horseshoe bats are in a litter?
A Blyth’s horseshoe bat (Rhinolophus lepidus) usually gives birth to around 1 babies.
Upon birth, they weight 2 grams (0 lbs) and measure 1.09 meter (3′ 7″). They are a member of the Rhinolophidae family (genus: Rhinolophus). An adult Blyth’s horseshoe bat grows up to a size of 3.8 cm (0′ 2″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
Blyth’s horseshoe bat (Rhinolophus lepidus) is a species of bat in the family Rhinolophidae.It is found across southern Asia from Afghanistan to Vietnam.The species can be identified from its pointed, bifid sella.The Blyth’s horseshoe bat population on Tioman Island, Malaysia, is known to fly and hunt in the forest during the day and night. It is thought that these bats can forage during the day owing to the absence of resident avian predators in the forest there.
Other animals of the family Rhinolophidae
Blyth’s horseshoe bat is a member of the Rhinolophidae, as are these animals:
- Indian roundleaf bat weighting only 44 grams
- Rufous horseshoe bat with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Arcuate horseshoe bat weighting only 8 grams
- Rüppell’s horseshoe bat weighting only 13 grams
- Greater horseshoe bat with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Marshall’s horseshoe bat weighting only 5 grams
- Cape horseshoe bat with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Borneo roundleaf bat weighting only 2 grams
- Thomas’s horseshoe bat weighting only 8 grams
- Rhinolophus hilli weighting only 13 grams
Animals that share a litter size with Blyth’s horseshoe bat
Those animals also give birth to 1 babies at once:
- Northern olingo
- Asian small-clawed otter
- Fox’s shrew
- Black crested gibbon
- Mexican free-tailed bat
- Red-bellied titi
- Cape serotine
- Crab-eating macaque
- Bald uakari
- Southern pig-tailed macaque
Animals with the same weight as a Blyth’s horseshoe bat
What other animals weight around 5 grams (0.01 lbs)?
- Keen’s myotis weighting 6 grams
- Yellow-lipped bat weighting 4 grams
- Fly River trumpet-eared bat weighting 5 grams
- Crawford’s gray shrew weighting 4 grams
- Least long-fingered bat weighting 4 grams
- Yellow-lipped bat weighting 5 grams
- Abo bat weighting 6 grams
- Southeast Asian long-fingered bat weighting 6 grams
- Dusky leaf-nosed bat weighting 5 grams
- Benito roundleaf bat weighting 6 grams