How many baby Rusty pipistrelles are in a litter?
A Rusty pipistrelle (Pipistrellus rusticus) usually gives birth to around 1 babies.With 1 litters per year, that sums up to a yearly offspring of 1 babies.
Each of those little ones spend around 80 days as a fetus before they are released into the wild. Upon birth, they weight 1 grams (0 lbs) and measure 2 cm (0′ 1″). They are a member of the Vespertilionidae family (genus: Pipistrellus). An adult Rusty pipistrelle grows up to a size of 4.4 cm (0′ 2″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
The rusty pipistrelle (Pipistrellus rusticus) is a species of vesper bat. It is found in Angola, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Central African Republic, Chad, Ethiopia, Ghana, Kenya, Malawi, Mozambique, Namibia, Nigeria, Senegal, South Africa, Sudan, Tanzania, Uganda, Zambia, and Zimbabwe. Its natural habitats are dry and moist savanna. It is of note as perhaps Africa’s smallest bat, at average weight of 3.5 g (0.12 oz).
Other animals of the family Vespertilionidae
Rusty pipistrelle is a member of the Vespertilionidae, as are these animals:
- Desert pipistrelle weighting only 2 grams
- Groove-toothed bat weighting only 4 grams
- Brown long-eared bat with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Yellowish myotis weighting only 5 grams
- Common bent-wing bat becoming 14 years old
- Flute-nosed bat weighting only 4 grams
- Greater bamboo bat with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Java pipistrelle with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Zulu serotine weighting only 4 grams
- Spotted bat with 1 babies per pregnancy
Animals that share a litter size with Rusty pipistrelle
Those animals also give birth to 1 babies at once:
- Link rat
- Giant armadillo
- Greater glider
- Sun-tailed monkey
- Noack’s roundleaf bat
- Red deer
- Javan slit-faced bat
- Red giant flying squirrel
- Matschie’s tree-kangaroo
- Thomas’s fruit-eating bat
Animals with the same weight as a Rusty pipistrelle
What other animals weight around 4 grams (0.01 lbs)?
- Painted bat weighting 4 grams
- Thailand roundleaf bat weighting 4 grams
- Ridley’s bat weighting 4 grams
- Wall-roosting mouse-eared bat weighting 4 grams
- Delany’s mouse weighting 4 grams
- Western small-footed bat weighting 4 grams
- Zulu serotine weighting 4 grams
- Flute-nosed bat weighting 4 grams
- Groove-toothed bat weighting 4 grams
- Least long-fingered bat weighting 4 grams