How many baby Pennant’s colobuss are in a litter?
A Pennant’s colobus (Piliocolobus pennantii) usually gives birth to around 1 babies.
Upon birth, they weight 19 grams (0.04 lbs) and measure 4 cm (0′ 2″). They are a member of the Cercopithecidae family (genus: Piliocolobus). An adult Pennant’s colobus grows up to a size of 57.4 cm (1′ 11″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
Pennant’s colobus or Pennant’s red colobus (Piliocolobus pennantii) is a species of tree-dwelling primate in the family Cercopithecidae. It is endemic to tropical Central Africa. Three subspecies have traditionally been recognised but its distribution is peculiarly disjunct and has been considered a biogeographical puzzle. with one population on the island of Bioko (Equatorial Guinea), a second in the Niger River Delta in southern Nigeria, and a third in east-central Republic of Congo. It is found in rainforests and marshy forests. It is threatened by habitat loss and hunting for bushmeat. One subspecies, bouvieri, is rated as critically endangered; although it was last photographically documented in 2015, it may be on the brink of extinction.
Other animals of the family Cercopithecidae
Pennant’s colobus is a member of the Cercopithecidae, as are these animals:
- Preuss’s red colobus with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Sooty mangabey with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Sykes’ monkey with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Booted macaque weighting around 2.75 kilograms (6.06 lbs)
- Olive colobus with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Pygathrix bieti weighting around 11 kilograms (24.25 lbs)
- Red-shanked douc with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Hamlyn’s monkey with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Tibetan macaque with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Barbary macaque with 1 babies per pregnancy
Animals that share a litter size with Pennant’s colobus
Those animals also give birth to 1 babies at once:
- Weasel sportive lemur
- Red goral
- Eastern forest bat
- Greater false vampire bat
- Kitti’s hog-nosed bat
- Spotted bat
- Harp seal
- Ogilby’s duiker
- Pygmy ringtail possum
- Long-legged bat
Animals with the same weight as a Pennant’s colobus
What other animals weight around 10.9 kg (24.02 lbs)?
- Black colobus usually reaching 9.1 kgs (20.06 lbs)
- Greater long-nosed armadillo usually reaching 9.7 kgs (21.38 lbs)
- Black-footed gray langur usually reaching 10.03 kgs (22.11 lbs)
- Iberian lynx usually reaching 11.08 kgs (24.43 lbs)
- Capped langur usually reaching 11.21 kgs (24.71 lbs)
- Serval usually reaching 11.9 kgs (26.23 lbs)
- Nilgiri langur usually reaching 10.6 kgs (23.37 lbs)
- Pygathrix bieti usually reaching 11 kgs (24.25 lbs)
- Preuss’s red colobus usually reaching 8.91 kgs (19.64 lbs)
- Southern muriqui usually reaching 10.57 kgs (23.3 lbs)