How many baby Short-tailed shrew tenrecs are in a litter?
A Short-tailed shrew tenrec (Microgale brevicaudata) usually gives birth to around 4 babies.
Upon birth, they weight 1 grams (0 lbs) and measure 4.3 cm (0′ 2″). They are a member of the Tenrecidae family (genus: Microgale). An adult Short-tailed shrew tenrec grows up to a size of 7.5 cm (0′ 3″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
The short-tailed shrew tenrec (Microgale brevicaudata) is a species of mammal in the family Tenrecidae. It is endemic to Madagascar. Its natural habitats are subtropical or tropical dry forest and subtropical or tropical moist lowland forest. It is threatened by habitat loss.
Other animals of the family Tenrecidae
Short-tailed shrew tenrec is a member of the Tenrecidae, as are these animals:
- Mole-like rice tenrec weighting only 39 grams
- Shrew-toothed shrew tenrec weighting only 18 grams
- Thomas’s shrew tenrec weighting only 22 grams
- Dobson’s shrew tenrec with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Web-footed tenrec with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Naked-nosed shrew tenrec weighting only 18 grams
- Ruwenzori otter shrew with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Pygmy shrew tenrec weighting only 4 grams
- Lesser hedgehog tenrec with 5 babies per pregnancy
- Greater hedgehog tenrec with 3 babies per pregnancy
Animals that share a litter size with Short-tailed shrew tenrec
Those animals also give birth to 4 babies at once:
- Parantechinus bilarni
- Sundevall’s jird
- White-nosed coati
- Madras treeshrew
- Boehm’s gerbil
- Geata mouse shrew
- Red-tailed chipmunk
- Beach vole
- Bunchgrass leaf-eared mouse
- Eastern cottontail
Animals with the same weight as a Short-tailed shrew tenrec
What other animals weight around 9 grams (0.02 lbs)?
- Rafinesque’s big-eared bat weighting 9 grams
- Small bent-winged bat weighting 8 grams
- Tasmanian pygmy possum weighting 8 grams
- Leach’s single leaf bat weighting 8 grams
- Micronycteris brachyotis weighting 10 grams
- Fischer’s little fruit bat weighting 9 grams
- Niceforo’s big-eared bat weighting 8 grams
- Large-eared pied bat weighting 8 grams
- Peninsular horseshoe bat weighting 8 grams
- Black-gilded pipistrelle weighting 10 grams