How many baby Sloggett’s vlei rats are in a litter?
A Sloggett’s vlei rat (Myotomys sloggetti) usually gives birth to around 1 babies.With 4 litters per year, that sums up to a yearly offspring of 4 babies.
Each of those little ones spend around 38 days as a fetus before they are released into the wild. Upon birth, they weight 11 grams (0.02 lbs) and measure 6 cm (0′ 3″). They are a member of the Muridae family (genus: Myotomys). An adult Sloggett’s vlei rat grows up to a size of 14.1 cm (0′ 6″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
Sloggett’s vlei rat or ice rat (Myotomys sloggetti) is a species of rodent in the family Muridae. It is found in southern Lesotho and South Africa where its natural habitats are subtropical or tropical high-altitude grassland, swamps, and rocky areas. Its name commemorates Col. Arthur Sloggett who served in South Africa and collected at Deelfontein in 1902. This is a common species and the International Union for Conservation of Nature has rated it as being of “least concern”.
Other animals of the family Muridae
Sloggett’s vlei rat is a member of the Muridae, as are these animals:
- Woolly giant rat weighting only 116 grams
- Obi mosaic-tailed rat weighting only 71 grams
- Indian desert jird with 4 babies per pregnancy
- Beach vole with 4 babies per pregnancy
- Rümmler’s brush mouse weighting only 29 grams
- Salt marsh harvest mouse with 3 babies per pregnancy
- Euryoryzomys nitidus weighting only 55 grams
- Tres Marías Island mouse with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Lesser tree mouse with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Great Key Island giant rat raching a size of 27.5 cm (0′ 11″)
Animals that share a litter size with Sloggett’s vlei rat
Those animals also give birth to 1 babies at once:
- Burchell’s zebra
- Four-toed elephant shrew
- Banded palm civet
- Peters’s flat-headed bat
- Cyclops roundleaf bat
- Southern three-banded armadillo
- Gray whale
- Hero shrew
- Seba’s short-tailed bat
- Tarabundí vole
Animals with the same weight as a Sloggett’s vlei rat
What other animals weight around 106 grams (0.23 lbs)?
- Taiga vole weighting 92 grams
- Hero shrew weighting 91 grams
- Philippine tarsier weighting 116 grams
- Central American dwarf squirrel weighting 87 grams
- Brazilian spiny tree-rat weighting 108 grams
- Hastings River mouse weighting 95 grams
- Thomas’s mosaic-tailed rat weighting 90 grams
- Woolly mouse opossum weighting 107 grams
- Fringe-tailed gerbil weighting 95 grams
- Water vole (North America) weighting 92 grams