How many baby Southern yellow bats are in a litter?
A Southern yellow bat (Lasiurus ega) usually gives birth to around 2 babies.With 1 litters per year, that sums up to a yearly offspring of 2 babies.
Each of those little ones spend around 96 days as a fetus before they are released into the wild. Upon birth, they weight 5 grams (0.01 lbs) and measure 4 cm (0′ 2″). They are a member of the Vespertilionidae family (genus: Lasiurus). An adult Southern yellow bat grows up to a size of 7.5 cm (0′ 3″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
The southern yellow bat (Dasypterus ega) is a species of vesper bat that belongs to suborder microchiroptera (microbat) in the family Vespertilionidae. It is native to South, North and Central America, from the Rio Grande Valley of Texas in the United States to Argentina.
Other animals of the family Vespertilionidae
Southern yellow bat is a member of the Vespertilionidae, as are these animals:
- Little forest bat with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Eastern broad-nosed bat weighting only 11 grams
- Round-eared tube-nosed bat with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Rafinesque’s big-eared bat with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Arizona myotis weighting only 8 grams
- Wall-roosting mouse-eared bat with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Peters’s trumpet-eared bat with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Long-fingered bat weighting only 8 grams
- Tropical big-eared brown bat weighting only 11 grams
- Chinese pipistrelle weighting only 5 grams
Animals that share a litter size with Southern yellow bat
Those animals also give birth to 2 babies at once:
- Big deer mouse
- European snow vole
- Chacoan peccary
- Indian hedgehog
- Spotted linsang
- Molina’s hog-nosed skunk
- Tolai hare
- Fresno kangaroo rat
- Golden mouse
- Western gray squirrel
Animals with the same weight as a Southern yellow bat
What other animals weight around 12 grams (0.03 lbs)?
- Turbo shrew weighting 14 grams
- Surat serotine weighting 13 grams
- Arizona pocket mouse weighting 11 grams
- Velvety free-tailed bat weighting 13 grams
- Orange nectar bat weighting 13 grams
- Montane white-toothed shrew weighting 14 grams
- Thomas’s fruit-eating bat weighting 11 grams
- Long-clawed shrew weighting 14 grams
- Gervais’s fruit-eating bat weighting 12 grams
- Eptesicus demissus weighting 13 grams