It is hard to guess what a Dormer’s bat weights. But we have the answer:
An adult Dormer’s bat (Scotozous dormeri) on average weights 6 grams (0.01 lbs).
The Dormer’s bat is from the family Vespertilionidae (genus: Scotozous). It is usually born with about 1 grams (0 lbs). When reaching adult age, they grow up to 55.7 cm (1′ 10″). Usually, Dormer’s bats have 1 babies per litter.
As a reference: An average human weights in at 62 kg (137 lbs) and reaches an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). Humans spend 280 days (40 weeks) in the womb of their mother and reach around 75 years of age.
Dormer’s bat or Dormer’s pipistrelle (Scotozous dormeri) is a species of vesper bat. It is monotypical for its genus.It is found in Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, and Pakistan.Its natural habitats are subtropical or tropical dry forests, arable land, plantations, rural gardens, and urban areas.The holotype for this species was from the Bellary Hills in Southern India and it was collected by James Charlemagne Dormer, after whom it is named.Bat flies found on this species include: Basilia fletcheri.
Animals of the same family as a Dormer’s bat
We found other animals of the Vespertilionidae family:
- Tickell’s bat with a weight of 16 grams
- Hardwicke’s woolly bat with a weight of 4 grams
- Somali serotine with a weight of 3 grams
- Zulu serotine with a weight of 4 grams
- Lesser woolly bat with a weight of 6 grams
- Lesser bamboo bat with a weight of 4 grams
- Keen’s myotis with a weight of 6 grams
- Cadorna’s pipistrelle with a weight of 6 grams
- Elegant myotis with a weight of 4 grams
- Botswanan long-eared bat with a weight of 7 grams
Animals with the same weight as a Dormer’s bat
As a comparison, here are some other animals that weight as much as the Scotozous dormeri:
- Swinny’s horseshoe bat bringing 7 grams to the scale
- Taiwanese brown-toothed shrew bringing 6 grams to the scale
- Savi’s pipistrelle bringing 6 grams to the scale
- Mexican small-eared shrew bringing 7 grams to the scale
- Mexican funnel-eared bat bringing 5 grams to the scale
- Whitaker’s shrew bringing 5 grams to the scale
- Pilbara ningaui bringing 6 grams to the scale
- Lesser woolly bat bringing 6 grams to the scale
- Red myotis bringing 5 grams to the scale
- Trinidadian funnel-eared bat bringing 6 grams to the scale
Animals with the same litter size as a Dormer’s bat
Here is a list of animals that have the same number of babies per litter (1) as a Dormer’s bat: