It is hard to guess what a Emin’s pouched rat weights. But we have the answer:
An adult Emin’s pouched rat (Cricetomys emini) on average weights 1.28 kg (2.82 lbs).
The Emin’s pouched rat is from the family Muridae (genus: Cricetomys). When reaching adult age, they grow up to 3 cm (0′ 2″).
As a reference: An average human weights in at 62 kg (137 lbs) and reaches an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). Humans spend 280 days (40 weeks) in the womb of their mother and reach around 75 years of age.
Emin’s pouched rat (Cricetomys emini), also known as the African pouched rat, is a large rat of the muroid superfamily. It is related to Cricetomys gambianus, the Gambian pouched rat. Both species belong to Cricetomys, the genus of the giant pouched rats.These animals were introduced into the exotic pet trade, but have been banned by the CDC and FDA after an outbreak of monkeypox. They are easily tamed.
Animals of the same family as a Emin’s pouched rat
We found other animals of the Muridae family:
- Northwestern deer mouse with a size of 9.3 cm (0′ 4″)
- Crab-eating rat with a weight of 66 grams
- Smoky mouse with a weight of 68 grams
- Lesser stick-nest rat with a weight of 150 grams
- Webb’s tufted-tailed rat with a weight of 61 grams
- Bismarck giant rat with a weight of 613 grams
- Large-toothed hairy-tailed rat with a size of 19.5 cm (0′ 8″)
- Tien Shan red-backed vole with 4 babies per litter
- Korean field mouse with 4 babies per litter
- Thomas’s mosaic-tailed rat with a weight of 90 grams
Animals with the same weight as a Emin’s pouched rat
As a comparison, here are some other animals that weight as much as the Cricetomys emini:
- Northern olingo with a weight of 1.2 kilos (2.65 lbs)
- Telefomin cuscus with a weight of 1.44 kilos (3.17 lbs)
- Banded mongoose with a weight of 1.26 kilos (2.78 lbs)
- Hispaniolan hutia with a weight of 1.27 kilos (2.8 lbs)
- Herbert River ringtail possum with a weight of 1.1 kilos (2.43 lbs)
- Banded palm civet with a weight of 1.27 kilos (2.8 lbs)
- Yarkand hare with a weight of 1.47 kilos (3.24 lbs)
- Malagasy giant rat with a weight of 1.18 kilos (2.6 lbs)
- Hoffmanns’s titi with a weight of 1.07 kilos (2.36 lbs)
- Abyssinian genet with a weight of 1.41 kilos (3.11 lbs)